Packers clip Lions behind Rodgers, CrosbyOct 6, 2013 - 10:41 PM Green Bay, WI (SportsNetwork.com) - Aaron Rodgers had one touchdown pass and Mason Crosby connected on five field goals as the Green Bay Packers took a 22-9 victory over the Detroit Lions at Lambeau Field on Sunday.
Rodgers went 20-for-30 for 274 yards, including an 83-yard touchdown strike to James Jones for the Packers (2-2), who were coming off their bye week after dropping a game to Cincinnati.
Jones finished the game with four catches for 127 yards, while Eddie Lacy had 23 carries for 99 yards for Green Bay, which ran its winning streak at home against the Lions to 23 straight games.
"This was a good division victory for us in front of the home crowd," said Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy. "Coming off the bye week we wanted to come out with a strong effort, and I think we had that here today. Would have been nice to find the end zone a little more, but I thought we did an excellent job on defense."
Matthew Stafford was 25-for-40 for 262 yards and a touchdown for the Lions (3-2), who were coming off wins against Washington and Chicago.
The Detroit offense sputtered much of the day thanks in large part to wide receiver Calvin Johnson sitting out the game with a knee injury. He had been listed as questionable on the team's injury report after sitting out practice both Wednesday and Thursday before participating in Friday's session on a limited basis.
"It's a long season and you have to be able to persevere through a lot of ups and downs," said Detroit head coach Jim Schwartz. "We had a down today, and we'll bounce back from it just like we did after losing to Arizona."
Detroit's first drive stalled near midfield and a punt saw Green Bay get the ball back at its own 20.
Over the course of the 15-play drive, the Packers converted three third downs, one on a penalty and the other two with receptions. The team eventually had a 1st-and-goal at the 4, but was unable to punch it in and Crosby's 26-yard field goal made it a 3-0 game.
Following a three-and-out from Detroit, Green Bay started a drive at its own 30 and ran 12 plays over the next four minutes.
Included in the drive was a fourth down conversion that saw Rodgers' pass fall incomplete, but a holding call on Detroit moved the chains. The team made it a 6-0 game on Crosby's season-high 52-yard field goal with 11:19 left in the half.
After each team punted, the Lions had the ball at their own 11 with 3:47 to play in the opening half. After converting one third down, the team faced a 3rd-and-10, but Stafford turned it with a 22-yard catch by Ryan Broyles. Another third down saw Brandon Pettigrew catch a short pass and turn it into a 25-yard gain. David Akers capped the march with a 53-yard field goal, a season-high, for a 6-3 Lions deficit right before the break.
Green Bay's second touch of the second half saw the team get a 67-yard run from Randall Cobb on the first play. That set up a 31-yard field goal from Crosby for a 9-3 lead with 5:04 to play in the third.
Following another three-and-out from Detroit, Green Bay essentially put the game away as Rodgers went down the left sideline for Jones, who caught the ball near midfield and raced into the end zone on an 83-yard score for a 16-3 lead with 3:12 left in the third.
A 42-yard field goal from Crosby capped a nine-play, 55-yard march for a 19-3 advantage with 10:16 showing on the clock.
Crosby later hit a 45-yard field goal, and Stafford countered with Detroit's only touchdown march of the game that saw him hit Kris Durham on a 13-yard score with 2:06 to play.
Detroit's last win on the road against Green Bay came in 1991 ... The Packers have a nine-game winning streak at home ... It was the first game Johnson had missed since the final game of the 2010 season ... Green Bay totaled 449 yards, while Detroit had just 286 ... Green Bay plays at Baltimore next Sunday ... Detroit plays in Cleveland next Sunday ... The Packers have won five straight and 15 of the last 16 against the Lions.
- 13-yard pass from Matthew Stafford to Kris Durham.
Oct 6 4:12 PM
- DETROIT: 9
GREEN BAY: 22
End of Regulation
Oct 6 4:12 PM
- Matthew Stafford pass to Kris Durham for 13 yards.
Lions 9, Packers 22 4th - 2:06Oct 6 4:01 PM
- 45-yarder by Mason Crosby.
Lions 3, Packers 22 4th - 3:50Oct 6 3:53 PM
- Aaron Rodgers pass incomplete to James Jones.
Lions 3, Packers 19 4th - 3:54Oct 6 3:53 PM
- Aaron Rodgers pass to James Jones for 27 yards.
Lions 3, Packers 25 4th - 3:54Oct 6 3:49 PM
- 42-yarder by Mason Crosby.
Lions 3, Packers 19 4th - 10:16Oct 6 3:31 PM
- DETROIT: 3
GREEN BAY: 16
End of 3rd
Oct 6 3:19 PM
- Mason Crosby extra point is good.
Lions 3, Packers 16 3rd - 3:12Oct 6 3:10 PM
- Aaron Rodgers pass to James Jones for 83 yards.
Lions 3, Packers 15 3rd - 3:12Oct 6 3:10 PM
- 31-yarder by Mason Crosby.
Lions 3, Packers 9 3rd - 5:04Oct 6 3:00 PM
- DETROIT: 3
GREEN BAY: 6
Oct 6 2:24 PM
- 53-yarder by David Akers.
Lions 3, Packers 6 2nd - 0:15Oct 6 2:22 PM
- 52-yarder by Mason Crosby.
Lions 0, Packers 6 2nd - 11:19Oct 6 1:46 PM
- DETROIT: 0
GREEN BAY: 3
End of 1st
Oct 6 1:37 PM
- 26-yarder by Mason Crosby.
Lions 0, Packers 3 1st - 1:24Oct 6 1:25 PM
- DETROIT: 0
GREEN BAY: 0
1st Quarter - 14:55
Oct 6 1:04 PM
- QB Jake Rudock seems to be in good position with Lions May 19
- Saints sign 3 tryout players from last week's rookie camp May 16
- Veteran DE Jason Jones signs with Dolphins May 16
- AP source: Jones in final stages of talks with Dolphins May 13
- Kyle Kragen follows in his father's cleats with Broncos May 13
- Recognized off field, Barrington key to Packers' LB plans May 13
- Packers sign their 3rd-round pick, linebacker Kyler Fackrell May 12
- Packers sign linebacker Kyler Fackrell May 12
- Detroit's Killebrew was an aggressive athlete even as a kid May 12
- More homework to do for Packers first-round pick Kenny Clark May 11
- Lions rookie knew about team's woes from Alabama roommate May 10
- Lions acquire Patriots LB Jon Bostic for conditional pick May 9