Russell Wilson takes jab at NC State; great lesson learnedMay 15, 2016 - 9:47 PM MADISON, Wis. (AP) Maybe Russell Wilson should speak at commencements more often. Just like he has in two of the past three Super Bowls, he delivered big-time on Sunday.
Invited back to Wisconsin to deliver a graduation address, the 27-year-old star quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks opted to devote part of his speech to his departure from North Carolina State when Tom O'Brien was head coach and how it turned out so well.
In April 2011, Wilson and O'Brien talked about Wilson's future at the school. Wilson was fresh off a stellar redshirt junior season that produced an ACC-best 3,563 yards, 28 touchdowns and a win over West Virginia in the Champs Sports Bowl. He was looking forward to coming back.
O'Brien had other ideas .
''He told me I wasn't coming back,'' Wilson said. ''He said, `Listen son, you're never going to play in the National Football League. You're too small. There's no chance. You've got no shot. Give it up. You won't see the field.'
''If I wanted to follow my dream, I had to leave N.C. State.''
So, Wilson departed for Wisconsin and guided the Badgers to a Rose Bowl appearance. Seattle then picked him on the third round - the 75th pick of the 2012 NFL draft - and he went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie.
Two years later, the 5-foot-11 Wilson led the Seahawks to the 2014 Super Bowl title and last year nearly made it two straight NFL championships. Seattle made the big game again with Wilson at the helm but lost to Tom Brady and the New England Patriots when Wilson threw a game-ending interception at the goal line in the final seconds of a four-point game.
Associated Press NFL web page: www.pro32.ap.org
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Still plenty of air in 'Deflategate' court case May 23
- QB Jake Rudock seems to be in good position with Lions May 19
- Ex-NFL player chosen to be next Pittsburgh schools head May 19
- Patriots' Gronkowski not exactly a swan in 1st ballet lesson May 18
- Saints sign 3 tryout players from last week's rookie camp May 16
- Seahawks sign LB Khairi Fortt, waives LB Christian French May 16
- Broncos add linebacker Dekoda Watson May 16
- Former Navy QB Reynolds gets OK to play in NFL this season May 13
- Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski makes Madden cover May 12
- Seahawks' Lockette steps away after injury: 'Life goes on' May 12
- Ex-Patriots player Hernandez's friend is acquitted of murder May 12