Ex-NFL player launching site to honor Joplin tornado victimMay 20, 2016 - 6:47 PM KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) Former Kansas City Chiefs long snapper Kendall Gammon is launching a social media site inspired by a Joplin tornado victim on the fifth anniversary of the deadly twister.
The website gives people a place to say thanks by recording a short video on their smartphone or computer, or what Gammon calls ''selfie thank-yous.'' The person receiving the ''game ball video'' then can be notified by email, text message or a ''shout out'' if that information isn't known.
Called ''Will's Wall,'' it is inspired by Will Norton, who was sucked away by the tornado as he headed home from his high school graduation, The Kansas City Star (http://bit.ly/22iatWj ) reports.
Years ago, Gammon had given a game ball to Norton, but he didn't realize what the ball meant to the young man until his death. The Nortons had been Gammon's neighbors for years, and while visiting them a few weeks after the tornado, he went into Will's room. That's when he saw the ball and his old jersey number, 83, painted on the wall.
''It was like a punch in the gut,'' said Gammon, now a field reporter for the Chiefs Radio Network. ''I instantly started to weep.''
Gammon decided that too often people don't know when they've made a difference in someone's life.
''In this day and age, we touch a picture, or we touch the outline of a heart (on Twitter) to show that we like something,'' Gammon said. ''But there's nothing more powerful than actually seeing someone tell you, `Thank you.' "
Gammon's site already has videos from retired NFL defensive lineman Jared Allen, other football veterans, Gammon and Trish Norton, Will's mother.
The wall is a fitting tribute, said Mark Norton, whose son had gained quite a following on YouTube before his death.
''It gives you hope,'' Mark Norton said. ''That good things can happen from bad things.''
Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Falcons' Vic Beasley Jr. samples new dual role as OLB and DE May 23
- Panthers' Thompson cited in accident that injured ex-Duke QB May 23
- Panthers release CB Brandon Boykin; sign 5 tryout players May 16
- Panthers hope Bradberry, other young CBs can replace Norman May 13
- Panthers sign DT Vernon Butler; all 5 picks under contract May 13
- Panthers sign CB Sanchez; DT Butler only draft pick unsigned May 12
- Broncos linebacker Shane Ray bulks up for 2nd season May 11
- Panthers owner Richardson to have another shoulder surgery May 11
- Panthers sign 3rd-round draft pick Worley from West Virginia May 10
- Chiefs swap DBs, offensive linemen after rookie minicamp May 10
- Chiefs wrap 3-day rookie minicamp with plenty of questions May 9