'Big Three' power Steelers to NFL winJan 9, 2017 - 2:22 AM Le'Veon Bell spent the past two Januarys watching helplessly while the Pittsburgh Steelers tried to make a deep post-season NFL run without him.
The slippery running back made up for lost time from injuries on Sunday against the Miami Dolphins.
So did Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown, the other members of Pittsburgh's 'Big Three' together in the playoffs for the first time.
Pounding away relentlessly at a defence that hardly seemed interested in stopping him at frigid Heinz Field, Bell ran for a franchise post-season record 167 yards and two scores as the Steelers overwhelmed the beaten-up and mistake-prone Miami Dolphins 30-12.
"We wanted to go out there and make a statement," Bell said.
Bell, Brown and Roethlisberger, who wore a walking boot on his right foot afterwards, more than wiped away the bitter taste from a 30-15 whipping at the hands of the Dolphins in mid-October.
Given a shot at redemption, Pittsburgh didn't let it go to waste.
The Steelers (12-5) led by two touchdowns before the game was 10 minutes old on long touchdown passes from Roethlisberger to Brown.
Miami never got closer than 11.
"Le'Veon was beastly," said Brown, who finished with five receptions for 124 yards and the two scores.
"All day, controlling the line of scrimmage, just running guys over and finding a way to put the ball in the end zone. Any time he's playing like that, we're going to be a hard team to beat."
The problem wasn't the single digit wind chill or a vicious hit absorbed by quarterback Matt Moore in the second quarter as much as it was the Steelers.
Pittsburgh sacked Moore five times, forced turnovers on three consecutive possessions in the middle of the game, and never really let the Dolphins up off the deck.
Pittsburgh (12-5) ran off their eighth straight victory to set up a visit to AFC West champion Kansas City (12-4) next Sunday.
The Steelers rolled by the Chiefs 43-14 on October 2.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Brady seeking Superbowl redemption 12:08a
- Aussie punter's Super Bowl dream dashed 11:44p
- Ryan stars as Falcons head to Super Bowl 10:13p
- Packers, Falcons set for NFL battle Sat
- Patriots and Steelers in NFL royal clash Sat
- Aust's Berry to feel heat against Patriots Sat
- Packers in NFL waiting game over receivers Thu
- Steelers' Roethlisberger deflects praise Thu
- Raiders apply to NFL for Las Vegas move Thu
- Elite QBs hold key to Super Bowl tickets Jan 17
- Aussie Berry one win from Super Bowl Jan 16
- Packers beat Cowboys in NFL thriller Jan 15