Wings top slumping OliersNov 6, 2010 - 5:55 AM
Daniel Cleary had a goal and two assists, while Justin Abdelkader and Valtteri Filppula each lit the lamp for the Red Wings, who have won three straight and six of seven.
Taylor Hall notched the lone goal for the Oilers, who have lost eight of their last nine games after opening the season with two straight wins. Nikolai Khabibulin stopped 27-of-29 shots in the loss.
"Right now we're playing not to lose, and that's dangerous," Oilers head coach Tom Renney said.
The first goal came 1:45 into the contest on a 2-on-1 break. Mike Modano skated down the right wing and fired a shot on net that Khabibulin stopped, but the rebound kicked out front and Abdelkader was there to bang it in.
At the 5:26 mark of the second the Oilers tied the game on Hall's power-play marker, his third of the season.
The Red Wings, though, took the lead back just over three minutes later with a power-play goal. Nicklas Lidstrom sent a pass from the left circle to the front of the net where Cleary quickly backhanded the puck over to the right side, and Filppula wristed it home.
Howard stopped 14 shots in the third, and Cleary sealed the win with an empty- netter in the final minute.
"We played real well after the first couple of shifts," Lidstrom said. "We spent a lot of time in their zone and created a lot of chances.
Detroit wraps up its three-game road trip in Vancouver on Saturday...Edmonton begins a five-game road trip in Chicago on Sunday...The Oilers took three of four from Detroit last season...Detroit's Pavel Datsyuk had an assist in the game and he now has a seven-game point streak. He has totaled four goals and six assists during that time...Howard hasn't lost a game in regulation in 22 consecutive starts. He is 19-0-3 during that time...Lidstrom also has a seven-game point streak and he has one goal and nine assists during the run.
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29