Staal nets a pair as Hurricanes edge PanthersNov 7, 2010 - 6:03 AM
Staal has now netted 199 goals, the fourth most in franchise history, for the Hurricanes, who bounced back from a 7-4 loss on Friday to gain a split in the home-and-home set.
Jeff Skinner added a goal and an assist while Cam Ward turned aside 18 shots to earn the win for Carolina.
Darcy Hordichuk and Michael Frolik netted the goals for the Panthers, who have dropped four of their last six.
Scott Clemmensen took the loss after yielding three goals on 29 shots.
Following a scoreless first period, Staal scored on a 5-on-3 power play just under eight minutes into the second period.
Sergei Samsonov fed from the bottom of the left circle to the midpoint from where Staal ripped a one-timer past Clemmensen.
The teams then posted three goals in a span of 9:20 in the third period.
Erik Cole carried down the right side, shrugged off a defender and circled around behind the net and sent a pass through the crease for Skinner, who wristed it home to make it a 2-0 game just 2:21 into the final period.
Florida got on the board 60 seconds later when Mike Weaver sent a shot wide of the net off the end boards. The puck popped out and bounced to the left of the crease from where Hordichuk banged it home.
Staal carried through the neutral zone and into the Florida zone before making his way to the top of the right circle when he sent a shot that hit a Panthers defender and knuckled past the reach of Clemmensen to make it a 3-1 game.
Florida pulled the goalie with 2:22 to play and eventually drew to within one but could not come up with the equalizer.
Frolik stole the puck on the left boards and sent a shot from outside the circle that beat Ward to the short side with 43 seconds left.
Staal moved past Jeff O'Neill, who had scored 198 times for the franchise...He trails only Blaine Stoughton (219), Kevin Dineen (235) and Ron Francis (264) on the team scoring roll...'Canes defenseman Joe Corvo played in his 500th NHL game...Ward improved to 11-7-0 in 20 games against the Panthers...Clemmensen is 1-3-0 in six games against Carolina...The home team has won the last eight games in the series since the start of last season.
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25