Semin's hat trick leads Caps over LightningNov 12, 2010 - 5:15 AM
Nicklas Backstrom had four assists while Alex Ovechkin added a goal and two assists for the Capitals, who have won their past six games and five in a row at home. Michal Neuvrith stopped 38 shots in the win.
"We'll ride this streak as long as it goes," said Washington head coach Bruce Boudreau. "A lot of that has been Semin cause everything he's touching is turning to gold."
Steven Stamkos had a goal and an assist for the Lightning, who have lost four of their past five games. Dan Ellis was charged with five goals on 25 shots in the loss.
"It was a frustrating game out there tonight," said Tampa Bay head coach Guy Boucher. "We've been battling for a while and it's just not been going our way."
The game wasn't all that Tampa lost as center Vincent Lecavalier broke his right hand and will miss the next three to four weeks.
Trailing by a goal in the third, Tampa tied the game on the power play as a shot from the high point from Martin St. Louis was stopped, but Ryan Malone was at the doorstep to bang home the rebound at the 2:43 mark to make it a 2-2 game.
Less than two minutes later, though, Washington got the lead back as Semin's wrist shot from the right circle went off the glove of Ellis and snuck in with traffic in front.
Semin made it a 4-2 game at the 10:46 mark when he one-timed a Backstrom feed at the right circle for his 11th goal of the season.
The Lightning made it a one-goal game less than two minutes later when Stamkos received the puck out front and picked his spot before wristing it past Neuvrith.
Ovechkin, though, gave his team some breathing space with 4:52 to play as his wrister from the left circle blew past Ellis for a 5-3 advantage.
Semin completed the hat trick with an empty-netter in the final moments of the game. It was the fifth hat trick of his career and second against Tampa Bay.
Tampa got the only goal of the first period at the 9:27 mark when Sean Bergenheim lifted a backhand on net from the low right circle that was stopped, but the big rebound came out front and hit off the body of Purcell before he shot it into the net.
The Capitals responded with a two-goal second stanza to take a 2-1 lead.
The first goals came 2:21 in when Semin blasted a shot from the left circle that saw the rebound come out to the right side and Tom Poti slam it home.
Washington then took the lead at the 7:51 mark as a lucky bounce off the skate of Brooks Laich had the puck go to the right side where Mike Knuble barely got his stick on it to redirect the puck into the net.
The Capitals play in Buffalo on Saturday...Tampa plays in Pittsburgh on Friday...This was the first of six meetings between these teams this season. The Caps have won 16 of the last 18 and 10 of the last 12 at home...Ovechkin has five goals and 10 assists during an eight-game point streak while Semin extended his to seven games and has recorded seven goals and six assists.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Nov 11 9:37 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of Regulation
Nov 11 9:37 PM
- Washington Empty Net Goal - Alexander Semin (12), at 19:44.
Lightning 3, Capitals 6 3rd - 0:16Nov 11 9:34 PM
- Randy Jones wrist shot is wide.
Lightning 3, Capitals 5 3rd - 4:29Nov 11 9:24 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (14), from Dominic Moore and Martin St. Louis at 12:43.
Lightning 3, Capitals 4 3rd - 7:17Nov 11 9:19 PM
- Washington Goal - Alexander Semin (11), from Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin at 10:46.
Lightning 2, Capitals 4 3rd - 9:14Nov 11 9:15 PM
- Washington Power-Play Goal - Alexander Semin (10), at 4:33.
Lightning 2, Capitals 3 3rd - 15:27Nov 11 9:03 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Ryan Malone (2), from Martin St. Louis at 2:43.
Lightning 2, Capitals 2 3rd - 17:17Nov 11 8:59 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 11 8:37 PM
- Washington Goal - Mike Knuble (3), at 7:51.
Lightning 1, Capitals 2 2nd - 12:09Nov 11 8:15 PM
- Washington Goal - Tom Poti, from Alexander Semin and Nicklas Backstrom at 2:21.
Lightning 1, Capitals 1 2nd - 17:39Nov 11 8:04 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Nov 11 7:44 PM
- Sean Bergenheim backhand shot on Michal Neuvirth.
Lightning 1, Capitals 0 1st - 10:35Nov 11 7:25 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 11 7:09 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17