Carter leads the way as Flyers rip HurricanesNov 12, 2010 - 7:01 AM
Danny Briere collected two goals and one assist for the Flyers, who had a six- game winning streak snapped with an overtime loss Sunday in Washington.
"It was good, we all felt good out there after the coule of days of rest," said Carter. "We came out with a solid effort and we knew we had. We started out a bit slow, but then got stronger as the game went on."
Philadelphia has posted eight straight wins over the Hurricanes and improved to 14-0-3 against Carolina since a 2-1 regulation loss on December 19, 2006.
Chad LaRose lit the lamp for the Hurricanes, who had scored 21 goals while winning three of their last four games, including a 7-1 rout of Edmonton on Tuesday.
Carolina goaltender Cam Ward was pulled in the second period after allowing four goals on just 13 shots. Justin Peters made nine saves in relief.
"Sometimes when things are going well and things are coming easy you start thinking it's easy," said Ward. "I think we forgot how hard it is to win and Philadelphia outworked us tonight."
Briere gave the Flyers a 1-0 lead 7:54 into the contest. Ville Leino shielded the puck from a defender as he circled the Carolina net and dished across the low slot to Briere, who beat Ward with a backhander. The tally came moments after Scott Hartnell had a goal, which was set up by another nifty feed from Leino, wiped out because of a kicking motion.
With Carolina forward Erik Cole serving an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, Carter swept in the rebound of Chris Pronger's blast from the point to make it 2-0 with 1:18 remaining in the first period.
Carter redirected Andrej Meszaros' shot past a distressed Ward to extend the lead to 3-0 at 1:54 of the middle stanza. He then chased Ward to the bench when he finished off a 2-on-1 rush with a wrister for his second power-play goal at 5:58 of the period.
The rout continued in the third as the visitors tacked on four more goals.
Philadelphia captain Mike Richards netted a shorthanded marker at 7:27 before LaRose spoiled Bobrovsky's shutout bid at 8:44. Hartnell countered 18 seconds later, then Briere scored off a Dan Carcillo dish at 10:55 and Nikolay Zherdev beat Peters on a breakaway to finish the scoring with 1:50 remaining.
Thursday marked the 25th anniversary of the death of former Flyers goaltender Pelle Lindbergh, who passed away at the age of 26 from injuries sustained in a car accident...Briere recorded his 300th career assist...Flyers forward Claude Giroux picked up two assists...Philadelphia second-year forward James van Riemsdyk missed his third straight game as a healthy scratch...The Flyers have won seven straight in Carolina...Cole and Tuomo Ruutu both finished with a minus-4 for the Hurricanes...Carolina forward Jiri Tlusty played his 100th career game.
- PHILADELPHIA: 8
Nov 11 9:36 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 8
End of Regulation
Nov 11 9:36 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Nikolay Zherdev (5), at 18:10.
Flyers 8, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 1:50Nov 11 9:33 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Dan Carcillo (2), at 10:55.
Flyers 7, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 9:05Nov 11 9:19 PM
- Jeff Carter snap shot on Justin Peters.
Flyers 6, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 9:48Nov 11 9:17 PM
- Scott Hartnell shot on Justin Peters.
Flyers 5, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 10:58Nov 11 9:15 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (5), at 9:02.
Flyers 6, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 10:58Nov 11 9:15 PM
- Carolina Goal - Chad LaRose (4), at 8:44.
Flyers 5, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 11:16Nov 11 9:15 PM
- Philadelphia Short-Handed Goal - Mike Richards (4), at 7:27.
Flyers 5, Hurricanes 0 3rd - 12:33Nov 11 9:12 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 4
End of 2nd
Nov 11 8:43 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Jeff Carter (7), at 5:58.
Flyers 4, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 14:02Nov 11 8:18 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Andrej Meszaros, at 1:54.
Flyers 3, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 18:06Nov 11 8:09 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
End of 1st
Nov 11 7:49 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Jeff Carter (6), at 18:42.
Flyers 2, Hurricanes 0 1st - 1:18Nov 11 7:45 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Danny Briere (7), at 7:54.
Flyers 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 12:06Nov 11 7:23 PM
- Jussi Jokinen slap shot on Sergei Bobrovsky.
Flyers 0, Hurricanes 0 1st - 13:55Nov 11 7:20 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (5), at 5:37.
Flyers 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 14:23Nov 11 7:16 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 11 7:09 PM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23