Canucks continue domination over struggling LeafsNov 14, 2010 - 6:22 AM
Raymond and Daniel Sedin each had a goal and an assist for the Canucks, who have won two in a row and eight of nine overall. Ryan Kesler had two goals for Vancouver, which also got a goal from Dan Hamhuis.
Roberto Luongo made 29 saves for the Canucks, who have won seven straight versus Toronto.
"That's the sign of a great team," Kesler said. "Even if we don't have our best we're going to stick to the game plan and grind it out and that's what we did tonight."
Mikhail Grabovski had a goal and an assist for the Maple Leafs, who have dropped eight straight and 11 of 12 since starting out the season 4-0-0. Fredrik Sjostrom and Phil Kessel also lit the lamp in defeat.
Jean-Sebastien Giguere turned aside 27-of-31 shots for Toronto, which hasn't claimed victory in this series since a home win on November 24, 2003.
"The young guys played very well," Toronto head coach Ron Wilson said. "Nazi made 3 or 4 great plays that special people make. He didn't do anything that hurt us defensively. Keith Aulie played very well for a defenseman at his age in his first game. He skates very well, moved the puck, made heads-up plays and defended in our zone very well. He's better now than in training camp."
Sjostrom's tip-in at the 4:12 mark of the first period gave Toronto an early lead. Kessel's power-play goal over three minutes later gave the Maple Leafs a 2-0 edge.
Sedin's power-play goal at the 9:39 mark cut the gap to 2-1, and Kesler then beat Giguere with 2:59 remaining to tie the game.
Vancouver scored on the power play early in the second to go in front. Kesler's slapper from the point found the back of the net just 56 seconds in to make it 3-2.
Grabovski responded with a slap shot of his own at the 11:44 mark to make it a 3-3 game heading to the third.
Raymond scored the go-ahead goal at the 13:36 mark of the third. Mikael Samuelsson controlled the puck at center ice and slid a pass to Raymond, whose slap shot beat Giguere for a 4-3 edge.
Hamhuis' first goal of the year sealed the victory with 50 seconds remaining.
The Maple Leafs started a three-game homestand on Saturday...The Canucks went 2-for-4 on the power play, while Toronto went 1-for-5 with the man advantage.
- VANCOUVER: 5
Nov 13 9:47 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Dan Hamhuis, from Daniel Sedin at 19:10.
Canucks 5, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 0:50Nov 13 9:45 PM
- Clarke MacArthur tip-in shot on Roberto Luongo.
Canucks 4, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 5:53Nov 13 9:35 PM
- Mason Raymond shot blocked by Francois Beauchemin.
Canucks 3, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 6:35Nov 13 9:33 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Mason Raymond, at 13:36.
Canucks 4, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 6:24Nov 13 9:33 PM
- VANCOUVER: 3
End of 2nd
Nov 13 8:55 PM
- VANCOUVER: 3
2nd Period - 7:52
Canucks 3, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 7:52Nov 13 8:37 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Christian Ehrhoff, at :56.
Canucks 3, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 19:04Nov 13 8:13 PM
- VANCOUVER: 2
End of 1st
Nov 13 7:52 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Ryan Kesler (8), from Mikael Samuelsson and Mason Raymond at 17:01.
Canucks 2, Maple Leafs 2 1st - 2:59Nov 13 7:45 PM
- Vancouver Power-Play Goal - Daniel Sedin (11), from Alexander Edler at 9:39.
Canucks 1, Maple Leafs 2 1st - 10:21Nov 13 7:33 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Phil Kessel (8), from Clarke MacArthur and Mikhail Grabovski at 7:39.
Canucks 0, Maple Leafs 2 1st - 12:21Nov 13 7:28 PM
- Toronto Goal - Fredrik Sjostrom, at 4:12.
Canucks 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 15:48Nov 13 7:21 PM
- VANCOUVER: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 13 7:15 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Capitals finally able to turn attention to playoffs Apr 11
- Etem scores shootout winner as Canucks beat Oilers 4-3 Apr 10
- Henrique scores 2, Devils beat Leafs in season finale Apr 9