Avalanche double up BluesNov 16, 2010 - 4:15 AM
Paul Stastny added a goal and a helper, while Kevin Porter, Brandon Yip and David Jones also tallied for the Avalanche, who have taken three of their last five contests.
Milan Hejduk and Chris Stewart both posted two assists and Peter Budaj moved to 6-3-1 on the year with 27 saves.
Alex Steen and Carlo Colaiacovo notched a goal and assist each for the Blues, who have lost a season-high four in a row. Brad Boyes also scored.
Jaroslav Halak surrendered a season-worst six goals on 23 shots in defeat, his third straight setback.
Boyes notched a power-play goal to get St. Louis within 5-3, when he deked an Avs defender in the slot and roofed a shot at 7:26 of the third period.
It was 6-3 for the home team on a Colorado power play, as Stastny carried down the left side and dished ahead to Porter for a successful wrister with 6:12 remaining.
"We gave up a lot of pucks in the neutral zone, and these guys can come back really quick on the fly," said Blues head coach Davis Payne. "There's 18 guys in here who need to look in the mirror and come out with a full-team effort."
Steen beat Budaj only 54 seconds in with a quick wrister on a breakaway, but Liles evened the game just after the five-minute mark.
Liles added a blast from the point with 7:05 to play in the first, then Stastny was credited with the last touch in a goalmouth scramble a little over two minutes later for a 3-1 Avs edge.
"We never want to get down early," Liles admitted. "Our guys worked hard, especially down low and that was the cause of some easy goals tonight. The guys just had some great traffic in front. Budaj stood tall for us as well."
Colaiacovo's slick wrister from the right circle hit the net inside the far post to bring the Blues back within a goal just before the 15-minute mark of the second. It was a sweet score for the defenseman, who returned to action for the first time since October 28 with a concussion.
Colorado then upped its lead to three with goals 17 seconds apart.
Yip made it 4-2 at 16:03 as his redirection of a Matt Duchene shot near the crossbar was upheld by replay, then at 16:20, Jones ripped a shot past Halak on an odd-man rush.
Colorado has won five in a row over St. Louis, including all four meetings a season ago...Avalanche defenseman Adam Foote recorded an assist on Jones' goal, giving him 254 points and setting a franchise record for defenseman. The last remaining current NHLer to have skated for the Nordiques passed Sandis Ozolinsh for the honor...Colaiacovo posted his first-goal since the Blues' season-opener.
- ST. LOUIS: 3
Nov 15 10:37 PM
- Colorado Goal - Kevin Porter, at 13:48.
Blues 3, Avalanche 6 3rd - 6:12Nov 15 10:25 PM
- St Louis Power-Play Goal - Brad Boyes (3), from David Backes and Andy McDonald at 7:26.
Blues 3, Avalanche 5 3rd - 12:34Nov 15 10:15 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 2
End of Regulation
Nov 15 9:45 PM
- Colorado Goal - David Jones (7), from Paul Stastny at 16:20.
Blues 2, Avalanche 5 2nd - 3:40Nov 15 9:38 PM
- Colorado Goal - Brandon Yip (5), from Matt Duchene at 16:03.
Blues 2, Avalanche 4 2nd - 3:57Nov 15 9:37 PM
- St Louis Goal - Carlo Colaiacovo (2), from Patrik Berglund and Alexander Steen at 14:54.
Blues 2, Avalanche 3 2nd - 5:06Nov 15 9:32 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 15 8:45 PM
- Colorado Goal - Chris Stewart (11), from Paul Stastny and John-Michael Liles at 14:58.
Blues 1, Avalanche 3 1st - 5:02Nov 15 8:36 PM
- Cody McLeod wrist shot on Jaroslav Halak.
Blues 1, Avalanche 2 1st - 6:48Nov 15 8:34 PM
- Colorado Goal - John-Michael Liles (2), from Greg Mauldin and Chris Stewart at 5:05.
Blues 1, Avalanche 1 1st - 14:55Nov 15 8:19 PM
- St Louis Goal - Alexander Steen (4), from Patrik Berglund at :54.
Blues 1, Avalanche 0 1st - 19:06Nov 15 8:12 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 15 8:10 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Sharks power play helps drive postseason success May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18