Sharks snap Kings' win streak at sixNov 16, 2010 - 8:17 AM
Ryane Clowe, Torrey Mitchell and Scott Nichol also scored for the Sharks, who have won three in a row and four of five.
Antero Niittymaki made 32 saves to earn the victory for San Jose, which improved to 6-2-2 on home ice.
Ryan Smyth, Jarret Stoll and Scott Parse scored for the Kings, who had a six- game win streak snapped.
Jonathan Bernier made 28 saves in the defeat for Los Angeles, which had claimed three of its previous four road contests.
LA got the scoring started with Parse's backhander at the 16:33 mark before Clowe's snap shot tied the game with 1:55 remaining in the stanza.
Mitchell's backhander put the hosts on top for good with 40 seconds to go in the period.
Nichol's turn around shot in the slot made it 3-1 just past the midway point of the second period before things got interesting and confusing.
"They're the 'big dogs', they're playing real well. They were the hottest team in the NHL," Nichol said about the importance of knocking off the Pacific Division leaders. "It was nice for us to come in and play our style and have a big home win. We go on the road for a couple and we wanted to end our homestand with a win and we did."
Smyth knocked in a shot that caromed off the back boards that was stopped on the goal line and not initially ruled a goal. Play continued as the Sharks cleared the puck from the net up ice to Mitchell, who scored on a breakaway to temporarily make it 4-1.
However, after the play was reviewed, Smyth was given credit for a goal that trimmed the lead to 3-2 and wiped out the Mitchell tally.
San Jose did notch its fourth goal on the power play 2:39 into the final session when Dan Boyle ripped a slap shot from the mid point that caromed off the end boards to the slot from where Marleau wristed it home past Bernier.
The Kings cut the lead back to one when Stoll tipped in a Rob Scuderi shot from the left point with under 13 minutes remaining.
The Sharks restored their two-goal cushion just 43 seconds later when Heatley wristed a shot from between the circles through a Marleau screen past Bernier.
Justin Williams appeared to have drawn the visitors back to within one with 11 1/2 minutes to go but the whistle blew the puck dead before it crossed the goal line.
Pavelski's power play tally capped the scoring with 3:52 left in the game.
Niittymaki is 2-0-2 in four career meetings with the Sharks...Marleau has 30 goals and 65 points in 73 career games against LA...Justin Williams of the Kings picked up an assist to record a point in a career-best 10th straight game...Stoll has 99 career goals and has scored a point in seven consecutive matches...Bernier faced San Jose for the first time in his career.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
SAN JOSE: 6
Nov 16 1:12 AM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Joe Pavelski (5), from Patrick Marleau at 16:08.
Kings 3, Sharks 6 3rd - 3:52Nov 16 1:03 AM
- San Jose Goal - Dany Heatley (7), from Kent Huskins at 7:49.
Kings 3, Sharks 5 3rd - 12:11Nov 16 12:42 AM
- Ryan Smyth tip-in shot is wide.
Kings 3, Sharks 4 3rd - 12:59Nov 16 12:40 AM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Patrick Marleau (7), from Dany Heatley and Dan Boyle at 2:39.
Kings 2, Sharks 4 3rd - 17:21Nov 16 12:32 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 2
SAN JOSE: 3
End of Regulation
Nov 16 12:10 AM
- Niclas Wallin backhand shot on Jonathan Bernier.
Kings 2, Sharks 3 2nd - 5:48Nov 16 12:01 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Ryan Smyth (5), from Drew Doughty at 13:39.
Kings 2, Sharks 4 2nd - 6:21Nov 15 11:59 PM
- San Jose Goal - Torrey Mitchell (4), at 14:46.
Kings 1, Sharks 4 2nd - 5:14Nov 15 11:56 PM
- San Jose Goal - Scott Nichol (2), at 10:35.
Kings 1, Sharks 3 2nd - 9:25Nov 15 11:47 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 1
SAN JOSE: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 15 11:14 PM
- Devin Setoguchi backhand shot on Jonathan Bernier.
Kings 1, Sharks 2 1st - 0:40Nov 15 11:12 PM
- San Jose Goal - Ryane Clowe (4), from Joe Pavelski and Logan Couture at 18:05.
Kings 1, Sharks 1 1st - 1:55Nov 15 11:11 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Scott Parse, from Dustin Brown at 16:33.
Kings 1, Sharks 0 1st - 3:27Nov 15 11:08 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 15 10:39 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18