Bruins nip Rangers as Julien reaches milestonesNov 18, 2010 - 3:59 AM
Milan Lucic and Mark Recchi also scored for the Bruins, who ended a five-game losing streak on Broadway. It was the first win in New York for Boston since January 20m, 2008.
Claude Julien moved into sixth place on the club's all-time list with his 143rd victory as the Bruins' head coach. It was also his 500th game as an NHL head coach; he is 262-169-10-59 overall with Montreal, New Jersey and Boston.
Brandon Dubinsky and Marian Gaborik notched goals for the Rangers, who had their three-game win streak brought to an end. Henrik Lundqvist took the loss after yielding three goals on only 20 shots.
After a scoreless first 20 minutes, Dubinsky started the scoring 7:10 into the middle session with a power play goal, but Boston tallied twice in a span of 5 1/2 minutes later in the period to take the lead for good.
Nathan Horton intercepted a clearing pass on the right boards and found Lucic all alone in the slot, where he beat Lundqvist to tie the game at 11:06.
"It was huge for us, " Lucic said of getting the game evened up. "We're a much better team when we get the first goal. We didn't lose our composure, we stayed confident and that is what got us through this game. The feeling on the bench was good, nobody got down on themselves."
Seguin took an errant pass at his own blue line, sped through the neutral zone and into the Rangers' zone before he wristed a shot short-side past Lundqvist from the circle to put the visitors in front at 16:35.
Boston added to its lead 70 seconds into the third period when Recchi snuck a wrist shot from the top of the left circle in between Lundqvist and the short- side post.
The Rangers halved their deficit 4 1/2 minutes later when Derek Stepan fed in the slot to Gaborik, who went backhand-to-forehand to beat Thomas.
Thomas stoned Ryan Callahan from the left doorstep on a pad save with 4 1/2 minutes to play as part of a successful kill during a 5-on-3 shorthanded situation.
"He came up with some big saves," Callahan said about Thomas during the pivotal power play late in the game. "At the same time, we have to get some more chances. They kept us on the perimeter pretty well. I thought they played pretty tight, but we have to find a way to get some more pucks to the net."
New York pulled Lundqvist with a minute to go, but could not generate a good scoring opportunity with the extra attacker before time ran out.
Recchi recorded his 565th career goal and 1,497th career point...Thomas improved to 4-6-3 in 13 career meetings against the Rangers...Boston lifted its road record to 7-1-0...The Bruins have allowed the first goal in six of their last seven games...Dubinsky has scored eight goals and 14 points in his last 14 games...Lundqvist dropped to 14-5-2 in his career versus Boston...The Rangers killed off all three Boston power plays and have successfully done so in 23 of their last 24 short-handed situations.
- BOSTON: 3
NEW YORK: 2
Nov 17 9:23 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Marian Gaborik (4), from Derek Stepan at 5:26.
Bruins 3, Rangers 2 3rd - 14:34Nov 17 8:56 PM
- Boston Goal - Mark Recchi (2), at 1:10.
Bruins 3, Rangers 1 3rd - 18:50Nov 17 8:51 PM
- BOSTON: 2
NEW YORK: 1
End of Regulation
Nov 17 8:32 PM
- Boston Goal - Tyler Seguin, at 16:35.
Bruins 2, Rangers 1 2nd - 3:25Nov 17 8:27 PM
- Boston Goal - Milan Lucic (7), at 11:06.
Bruins 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 8:54Nov 17 8:19 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Brandon Dubinsky (11), at 7:10.
Bruins 0, Rangers 1 2nd - 12:50Nov 17 8:09 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
End of 2nd
Nov 17 7:42 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 17 7:09 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24