Dvorak and Vokoun lead Panthers over AtlantaNov 18, 2010 - 3:33 AM
Stephen Weiss scored the other goal while Thomas Vokoun turned away 38 shots to earn the victory for the Panthers, who have won four of their last six games.
Zach Bogosian registered the lone goal for the Thrashers, who have lost three in a row and six out of seven.
Ondrej Pavelec made 32 saves in the loss.
"We knew they were going to come out strong," Florida head coach Peter DeBoer said "I thought they controlled play in the first period we had a couple of big blocks at key times. It's a good win for us. We did a lot more right than wrong."
During the final minutes of the second period, the Panthers captured a 2-1 edge. Chris Higgins collected his own rebound behind the net, controlled the puck around to the right side and passed it to Dvorak, who then slapped it in with 1:57 remaining.
The Thrashers couldn't find the equalizer during the final period where they outshot Florida 18-3, including the final 1:18 when Pavelec was pulled for an extra skater.
"We spent too much time in our zone and they scored two goals on us," Pavelec said. "We played great in the third period and spent almost the whole period in their zone, but couldn't get it past Vokoun. Like we have said so many times, you have play all 60 minutes to win the hockey game and we got to be better next time."
From a quick offensive zone face off win, a rebound off a Johnny Oduya chance careened to Bogosian. He ripped a shot from the top of the right circle and the puck slipped between Vokoun's leg pads at the 7:18 mark of the first.
The Panthers evened the game at one in at the 1:13 mark of the second, when Weiss received a center point pass from Cory Stillman, skated in and chipped it past Pavelec.
Atlanta will welcome Washington on Saturday and Florida will continue its brief road trip in Boston on Thursday...Bogosian tallied his first goal this season...Neither team was able to score on the power play, with the Panthers empty on three chances and the Thrashers scoreless on their lone opportunity.
- FLORIDA: 2
Nov 17 9:22 PM
- FLORIDA: 2
End of Regulation
Nov 17 8:33 PM
- Christopher Higgins snap shot on Ondrej Pavelec.
Panthers 2, Thrashers 1 2nd - 2:01Nov 17 8:28 PM
- Florida Goal - Stephen Weiss (4), at 1:11.
Panthers 1, Thrashers 1 2nd - 18:49Nov 17 8:02 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
End of 2nd
Nov 17 7:43 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Zach Bogosian, at 7:18.
Panthers 0, Thrashers 1 1st - 12:42Nov 17 7:21 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 17 7:09 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25
- Panthers C Nick Bjugstad out for Game 5 against Islanders Apr 24