Coyotes blank Oilers for seventh straight winNov 24, 2010 - 6:22 AM
Bryzgalov, who improved to 10-2-5 on the season, posted his first shutout since March 13 at Carolina.
Wojtek Wolski posted a goal and one assist for the Coyotes, who recorded their seventh straight victory.
Devan Dubnyk allowed five goals on 34 shots in defeat for the Oilers, who have lost seven of their last eight.
Only 48 seconds into the contest, Hanzal converted a pass from Ray Whitney into an open net.
"We just weren't ready to start the game and it showed," Oilers forward Sam Gagner said. "Everyone saw our first period and the way we handled being down, and it wasn't good."
It was 2-0 for the Coyotes at the two-minute mark of the second period as Wolski shook off a pair of defenders and chipped a rolling puck over Dubnyk's shoulder.
Stempniak converted his own rebound with 2:53 left in the second to make it 3-0 on a power play.
Hanzal struck once more, on a wrister from the right circle to give the Coyotes a 4-0 edge with 6:15 remaining, then Stempniak added his second of the game inside the final minute.
"We had a couple of lines step up and play very well for us and contribute," Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett said. "This was a must win for us and we did what we had to do to win. All the credit goes to the players."
For Phoenix, it is the longest winning streak since a nine-gamer from March 4-21...Prior to the game, the Coyotes placed forward Kyle Turris on injured reserve with an upper-body injury...Bryzgalov's last home shutout came on March 6 in a 4-0 win over Anaheim. This was the Russian's 17th career whitewash...Eric Belanger helped the Coyotes with a pair of assists.
- EDMONTON: 0
Nov 23 11:28 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Lee Stempniak, at 19:08.
Oilers 0, Coyotes 5 3rd - 0:52Nov 23 11:26 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Martin Hanzal (6), at 13:45.
Oilers 0, Coyotes 4 3rd - 6:15Nov 23 11:16 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of Regulation
Nov 23 10:37 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Lee Stempniak (6), at 17:07.
Oilers 0, Coyotes 3 2nd - 2:53Nov 23 10:33 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Wojtek Wolski (4), at 2:00.
Oilers 0, Coyotes 2 2nd - 18:00Nov 23 10:04 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 2nd
Nov 23 9:44 PM
- Derek Morris shot blocked by Theo Peckham.
Nov 23 9:28 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25