Thrashers win third straight by grounding WingsNov 25, 2010 - 3:59 AM
Andrew Ladd also notched a goal and assist in the win. Chris Thorburn, Anthony Stewart and Dustin Byfuglien each tallied a goal for Atlanta, which has won three in a row for the first time all season.
"We certainly did," Thrashers head coach Craig Ramsay said about his team playing its best game of the year. "We've played some good games against some good teams. Tonight we did it virtually the whole game. We did it with everybody."
Ondrej Pavelec was solid between the pipes with 32 saves in the win.
Todd Bertuzzi had the lone goal for the Red Wings, who dropped their second game in three. Jimmy Howard stopped 26 shots in the loss.
"The other team was more patient than us," Detroit head coach Mike Babcock said. "They were better than us. That' it. I hope we don't just forget this game. The reality is you need reminders in life. We all get it and we got a reminder tonight of how hard the league is and how much structure you have to play with and how good you have to be to be successful."
The Thrashers drew first blood during the opening three minutes of the game when Eric Boulton curled around the back of the net and centered it to Thorburn, who went top shelf past Howard.
They jumped to a 2-0 lead on a shorthand goal about nine minutes later. Rich Peverley broke loose on the right side to find an open Ladd, who poked it into the net.
Still under the powerplay, the Red Wings answered back 19 seconds later when Niklas Kronwall moved the disc at the top of the point to Mike Modano, who passed the puck through the zone to find Bertuzzi in the slot for the goal.
Atlanta regained its two-goal lead, 3-1, early in the second period on a powerplay that spilled over from the first period. Johnny Oduya corralled the puck near the left side boards and pushed it ahead to Little, who found a wide-open Stewart on the opposite side to put the puck past a diving Howard.
The lead was extended to three with 3:35 left in the second, when Evander Kane intercepted a Detroit pass at center ice. He pushed it forward to Little, who broke free and rushed down the left side to rip it past the Detroit goaltender.
Atlanta tacked on a late third period goal on a 4-on-3 powerplay goal when Byfuglien slapped a one-timer from the point. Ladd and Tobias Enstrom set up the score during the advantage.
The Red Wings have taken four of the six series meetings...Atlanta outshot Detroit 38-33.. Joey MacDonald started the third period in place of Howard. He ended with seven saves on eight shots...It was Atlanta's fourth game of a six game homestand.
- DETROIT: 1
Nov 24 9:30 PM
- Atlanta Power-Play Goal - Dustin Byfuglien (8), at 14:19.
Red Wings 1, Thrashers 5 3rd - 5:41Nov 24 9:20 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of Regulation
Nov 24 8:37 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Bryan Little (4), at 16:25.
Red Wings 1, Thrashers 4 2nd - 3:35Nov 24 8:30 PM
- Atlanta Power-Play Goal - Anthony Stewart (6), from Bryan Little at 1:50.
Red Wings 1, Thrashers 3 2nd - 18:10Nov 24 8:02 PM
- DETROIT: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 24 7:43 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Todd Bertuzzi (4), from Mike Modano at 12:18.
Red Wings 1, Thrashers 2 1st - 7:42Nov 24 7:28 PM
- Atlanta Short-Handed Goal - Andrew Ladd (8), from Rich Peverley at 11:59.
Red Wings 0, Thrashers 2 1st - 8:01Nov 24 7:27 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Chris Thorburn (4), from Eric Boulton and Jim Slater at 2:39.
Red Wings 0, Thrashers 1 1st - 17:21Nov 24 7:13 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 24 7:09 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24
- Red Wings follow refrain, make brief appearance in playoffs Apr 22
- Bishop shines, Lightning eliminate Red Wings in 5 games Apr 22