Sharks fend off late rally to beat EdmontonNov 28, 2010 - 7:01 AM
Dany Heatley tallied two goals and an assist for the Sharks, who have won two of their last three games. Benn Ferriero also lit the lamp while Antero Niittymaki turned away 22 shots in the win.
Devan Dubnyk stopped 21-of-25 shots for Edmonton, which has dropped eight of its last 10 games. Jim Vandermeer, Shawn Horcoff and Sam Gagner each recorded goals in the loss.
"It's really a matter of how we play," Vandermeer said. "We've been beating ourselves. No disrespect to the other teams, but every team knows if you don't play well you're not going to win."
Just over nine minutes into the third, Patrick Marleau poked a loose puck in the center of the zone to Pavelski, who slapped it in from the right face-off circle.
The goal put the Sharks up 4-1 with 9:02 remaining, but the Oilers fought back and scored two straight goals.
The first came when Horcoff gathered in his own rebound and wristed it in from the left slot with 7:21 left to play. Only 57 seconds later, Vandermeer slapped the disc in to make it a one-goal game.
Edmonton was unable to find the equalizer as Niittymaki fended off 11 third- period shots.
San Jose opened the game's scoring only a 70 seconds into the contest when Ferriero recorded his first goal of the season on a Logan Couture feed.
Edmonton knotted the game at one after Gagner scored on a power play goal nearly four minutes into the first.
The edge was taken by the Sharks on a power play early in the second period. Joe Thornton controlled the puck deep in the left corner and then found an open Heatley, who slapped the puck in from the slot to make it 2-1.
Heatley scored again near the end of the period to give San Jose a 3-1 lead.
Edmonton had just three shots in the second period...San Jose plays Western Conference rival Detroit on Tuesday, while the Oilers start a three-game road trip in Ottawa on Monday... The Sharks' Niclas Wallin was injured in the first period and never returned.
- SAN JOSE: 4
Nov 28 12:32 AM
- Edmonton Goal - Jim Vandermeer, at 13:36.
Sharks 4, Oilers 3 3rd - 6:24Nov 28 12:16 AM
- Edmonton Goal - Shawn Horcoff, at 12:39.
Sharks 4, Oilers 2 3rd - 7:21Nov 28 12:14 AM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (8), at 9:01.
Sharks 4, Oilers 1 3rd - 10:59Nov 28 12:05 AM
- SAN JOSE: 3
End of 2nd
Nov 27 11:35 PM
- San Jose Goal - Dany Heatley (11), at 17:04.
Sharks 3, Oilers 1 2nd - 2:56Nov 27 11:31 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Dany Heatley (10), from Joe Thornton and Dan Boyle at 2:06.
Sharks 2, Oilers 1 2nd - 17:54Nov 27 11:05 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Nov 27 10:43 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Sam Gagner (6), from Dustin Penner at 3:55.
Sharks 1, Oilers 1 1st - 16:05Nov 27 10:18 PM
- San Jose Goal - Ryane Clowe (5), at 1:10.
Sharks 1, Oilers 0 1st - 18:50Nov 27 10:12 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 27 10:10 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18