Red Wings complete weekend sweep of Blue JacketsNov 29, 2010 - 7:44 AM
Valtteri Filppula and Danny Cleary also tallied for Detroit, which has won seven of its last nine games. Jimmy Howard made 27 saves to register his 13th win of the season.
Derick Brassard and R.J. Umberger lit the lamp for the Blue Jackets, who had a five-game winning streak halted by the Red Wings on Friday in Columbus.
Steve Mason stopped 38 shots in defeat.
Umberger scored on a power play to trim Columbus' deficit to 3-2 with 1:31 remaining in the third period after the Blue Jackets had failed to convert on a lengthy two-man advantage earlier in the frame.
But Cleary's empty-net goal with 59 seconds remaining sealed the win.
"They played good both games (of the home-and-home)," said Umberger. "The difference is this time they were in their building. They were completely energized all night."
Despite that energy, the Blue Jackets got on the board first with 42.2 seconds remaining in the opening period when Anton Stralman's shot from atop the right circle was tipped by Brassard over Howard's glove.
But Kronwall banged home his own rebound from in close to tie the game at 10:12 of the middle stanza and Helm then fired a wrister behind Mason to give Detroit the lead.
Filppula scored 52 seconds into the third period to make it 3-1.
The Red Wings improved to 10-1-2 at Joe Louis Arena this season, while Columbus fell to 8-2-0 as the visiting team...Detroit forward Tomas Holmstrom played in his 900th career game...Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen both collected two assists for the Red Wings.
- COLUMBUS: 2
Nov 28 7:36 PM
- Detroit Empty Net Goal - Dan Cleary (10), from Pavel Datsyuk at 19:01.
Blue Jackets 2, Red Wings 4 3rd - 0:59Nov 28 7:34 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal - Antoine Vermette (6), from Jakub Voracek at 18:29.
Blue Jackets 2, Red Wings 3 3rd - 1:31Nov 28 7:33 PM
- Detroit Goal - Valtteri Filppula, from Johan Franzen and Todd Bertuzzi at :52.
Blue Jackets 1, Red Wings 3 3rd - 19:08Nov 28 7:00 PM
- COLUMBUS: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 28 6:40 PM
- Detroit Goal - Darren Helm (2), from Drew Miller at 10:26.
Blue Jackets 1, Red Wings 2 2nd - 9:34Nov 28 6:22 PM
- Detroit Goal - Niklas Kronwall (5), from Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen at 10:12.
Blue Jackets 1, Red Wings 1 2nd - 9:48Nov 28 6:21 PM
- COLUMBUS: 1
End of 1st
Nov 28 5:45 PM
- Columbus Goal - Rick Nash (14), at 19:12.
Blue Jackets 1, Red Wings 0 1st - 0:48Nov 28 5:44 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 28 5:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26