Crosby keeps Penguins rolling with victory over DevilsDec 7, 2010 - 6:40 AM
Chris Kunitz provided the other tally for the Penguins, who haven't lost since a 3-2 overtime decision against the New York Rangers on November 15.
For Pittsburgh, it is the franchise's first double-digit win streak since a 10-gamer from January 28-February 15, 1999.
Marc-Andre Fleury turned aside 27-of-28 shots for the win, his 12th of the season.
Brian Rolston notched the lone goal for the Devils, who have dropped three in a row and four of five. Johan Hedberg was strong in defeat, stopping 32 shots.
"Hedberg was great again for us," Rolston said. "We have to find a way to win these games."
Pittsburgh assumed a one-goal edge with 7:11 left in the second period as Crosby was in the right place -- along the goal line to the right of Hedberg -- to one-time a rebound from Alex Goligoski's point shot.
"I was just standing at the right spot," a humble Crosby said. "I just tried to get off to the side of the net and hope something bounces over."
Fleury made the lead hold up, making 10 stops in the second and 10 more in the final 20 minutes.
Pittsburgh failed to add to its lead despite a pair of third-period power plays, but protected its defensive zone in the final 1:11 with Hedberg on the bench for an extra skater.
Rolston gave the Devils a lead on a power play at 14:20 of the first period, then Kunitz converted a Crosby pass at 15:41 while at even strength.
Crosby posted his third straight multi-point effort and extended his scoring streak to 16 games...Prior to the game, the Penguins honored Bill Guerin, who officially retired Monday after concluding an 18-year career with Pittsburgh at the end of last season...Pens forward Evgeni Malkin missed his second straight game with a nagging knee injury...The Penguins' next highest winning streak was their 17-game run, an NHL record, from March 9-April 10, 1993.
- NEW JERSEY: 1
Dec 6 9:43 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 6 8:44 PM
- Anton Volchenkov wrist shot on Marc-Andre Fleury.
Devils 1, Penguins 2 2nd - 6:16Dec 6 8:33 PM
- Sidney Crosby shot on Johan Hedberg.
Devils 1, Penguins 1 2nd - 7:11Dec 6 8:31 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Sidney Crosby (24), at 12:49.
Devils 1, Penguins 2 2nd - 7:11Dec 6 8:31 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Dec 6 7:49 PM
- Chris Kunitz shot on Johan Hedberg.
Devils 1, Penguins 0 1st - 4:19Dec 6 7:42 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Brian Rolston (2), at 14:20.
Devils 1, Penguins 0 1st - 5:40Dec 6 7:37 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 6 7:12 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19