Briere helps Flyers top Leafs in TorontoDec 10, 2010 - 7:35 AM
Ville Leino and Chris Pronger also scored for the Flyers, who bounced back nicely one night after they blew a three-goal lead in the third period during Wednesday's 5-4 shootout loss to San Jose. Andrej Meszaros posted two assists for Philadelphia, which is now 3-1-1 in the month of December.
Brian Boucher made 31 saves in the victory.
"I thought that he completely controlled the game out there," said Flyers head coach Peter Laviotlette when describing his goaltender. "He was probably the best player on the ice. The way he handled the puck, the rebounds, he was in complete control."
Mikhail Grabovski's goal in the second period accounted for Toronto's only offense. The Maple Leafs have dropped two straight and fell to 2-5-1 in their last eight games overall.
Jean-Sebastien Giguere allowed four goals on 28 shots for Toronto.
Only 79 seconds after Leino opened the scoring at the 11:13 mark of the first period with a power-play goal, Pronger's fourth goal of the season gave the Flyers a 2-0 lead. Pronger wound up from the right point and blasted a slap shot past Giguere.
Both the third and fourth Philadelphia goals featured a Meszaros-Briere connection.
First, at 12:18 of the middle session, Meszaros's shot from the right point missed the net wide before it caromed off the rear boards and into the left crease area, where Briere was all alone, gained control and tucked it home.
Briere's second tally of the night and 16th of the season made it 4-1 with 2:43 remaining before the second intermission. Meszaros carried the puck into the slot on a broken play and passed over to Briere, whose low backhander from near the left post lit the lamp.
"You look back on the game and if we made a mistake it ended up in the net," stated Maple Leafs head coach Ron Wilson. "We weren't able to finish the 2- on-1 opportunities and the scrambles in front of the net."
The Flyers were 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Leafs finished scoreless on their four chances with the extra skater...Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf returned the lineup -- he had been out since early November with a left leg laceration...The Flyers have won four straight and six of their last seven games against the Leafs...Meszaros now has 10 assists in 2010-11.
- PHILADELPHIA: 4
Dec 9 9:36 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 4
End of 2nd
Dec 9 8:40 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Danny Briere (16), from Andrej Meszaros and Jody Shelley at 17:17.
Flyers 4, Maple Leafs 1 2nd - 2:43Dec 9 8:35 PM
- Toronto Goal - Mikhail Grabovski (8), at 16:14.
Flyers 3, Maple Leafs 1 2nd - 3:46Dec 9 8:32 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Danny Briere (15), at 12:18.
Flyers 3, Maple Leafs 0 2nd - 7:42Dec 9 8:26 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
End of 1st
Dec 9 7:46 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Chris Pronger, from Danny Briere at 12:32.
Flyers 2, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 7:28Dec 9 7:32 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Ville Leino (7), at 11:12.
Flyers 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 8:48Dec 9 7:29 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 9 7:08 PM
- canadabeaver Let's go Toronto, we need to get things in order. You can't leave your goals till late in the third period,and avoid the bad defence.Your goalie can't do it by himself ! pull up your socks and lets get on with it I know we have the team lets go T.O. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flyers vs. Maple LeafsDec 9 9:24 AM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24