Nash's third-period goals get Jackets by RangersDec 12, 2010 - 7:12 AM
Antoine Vermette also scored for the Blue Jackets, who won for just the second time in their last eight games. Steve Mason made 32 saves in net for the victory.
Marc Staal scored the only New York goal as the Rangers lost for the second time in three games. Henrik Lundqvist allowed three goals on 23 shots in defeat.
The game was nearly half over when Staal tallied on a power play to open the scoring midway through the second period. He swept into the slot and beat Mason with a quick shot that was set up by Ruslan Fedotenko from behind the net.
Columbus tied the game about six minutes later, also on a power play, when Vermette jammed one in from in front of Lundqvist.
Nash won the game for Columbus in the third, giving his team a 2-1 lead with 5:09 remaining on a wrister from an impossible angle to Lundqvist's left. The New York netminder was unable to shift fast enough to keep out the puck.
Lundqvist was bested again by the Columbus forward less than four minutes later.
Nash, tipping a puck past two Rangers defenders, caught Lundqvist as he was leaving the ice for an extra attacker. Lundqvist scrambled back, but was in no position to be able to fend off Nash's deke to the backhand, which he easily slipped into the net.
Lundqvist said it was a tough way to end the game.
"The last one, I might as well have stayed on the bench. I don't know where the net is or anything," said Lundqvist. "He made me look pretty stupid there."
Mason made 12 saves and Lundqvist had eight during a scoreless first period.
The Blue Jackets have won two of three on the heels of a five-game slide...Columbus was 1-for-2 on the power play, while New York scored once in its five chances with an extra attacker...Columbus has won two of its last three games in Manhattan.
- NEW YORK: 1
Dec 11 9:29 PM
- Columbus Goal - Rick Nash (16), at 18:48.
Rangers 1, Blue Jackets 3 3rd - 1:12Dec 11 9:24 PM
- Columbus Goal - Rick Nash (15), at 14:51.
Rangers 1, Blue Jackets 2 3rd - 5:09Dec 11 9:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 11 8:35 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal - R.J. Umberger (9), from Rick Nash and Antoine Vermette at 15:43.
Rangers 1, Blue Jackets 1 2nd - 4:17Dec 11 8:29 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Marc Staal (5), from Ruslan Fedotenko and Brandon Dubinsky at 9:53.
Rangers 1, Blue Jackets 0 2nd - 10:07Dec 11 8:15 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Dec 11 7:41 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 11 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26