Boulton hat trick helps Thrashers take over first placeDec 19, 2010 - 3:23 AM
Chris Thorburn had a goal and two assists for the Thrashers, who moved to the top of the Southeast Division standings.
"We're a long way from done," Atlanta head coach Craig Ramsey said of being in first place. "We have a lot to work to do, but I want them to enjoy it. I told them to enjoy this, but we have to fly up north again."
Atlanta is 3-0-2 in its last five games.
Ilya Kovalchuk had the lone goal for New Jersey, which has dropped eight straight on the road. Martin Brodeur was pulled in the second period after allowing four goals on 15 shots. Johan Hedberg finished with four saves in relief.
"Everything went wrong," Kovalchuk said. "I don't know what... it's unacceptable. It's embarrassing. I don't know, that's all I can say."
The Thrashers erupted for three goals in the first period.
Ron Hainsey jumped on a loose puck in the left circle and fired a shot over a prone Brodeur for his first goal of the season at the 10:56 mark.
Boulton drove the net and tapped in a Thorburn pass behind Brodeur at 15:30. Evander Kane lit the lamp 38 seconds later.
Andrew Ladd beat Brodeur high on the glove side with a wrister to make it 4-0 at 6:37 of the middle stanza.
Kovalchuk scored on a power play to put New Jersey on the board with 4:17 remaining in the second period.
Boulton found the back of the net again at 4:07 of the third period, then capitalized on a Hedberg gaffe at 16:54. Thorburn finished the scoring at 18:58.
Anthony Stewart collected two assists for Atlanta...New Jersey defenseman Henrik Tallinder played in the 500th game of his career.
- NEW JERSEY: 1
Dec 18 9:34 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Chris Thorburn, from Evander Kane at 18:58.
Devils 1, Thrashers 7 3rd - 1:02Dec 18 9:32 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Eric Boulton (4), at 16:54.
Devils 1, Thrashers 6 3rd - 3:06Dec 18 9:27 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Eric Boulton (3), from Chris Thorburn at 4:05.
Devils 1, Thrashers 5 3rd - 15:55Dec 18 9:01 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 18 8:36 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (8), at 15:43.
Devils 1, Thrashers 4 2nd - 4:17Dec 18 8:27 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Andrew Ladd (11), at 6:37.
Devils 0, Thrashers 4 2nd - 13:23Dec 18 8:08 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Dec 18 7:42 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Evander Kane (11), at 16:08.
Devils 0, Thrashers 3 1st - 3:52Dec 18 7:38 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Eric Boulton (2), from Chris Thorburn at 15:30.
Devils 0, Thrashers 2 1st - 4:30Dec 18 7:36 PM
- Colin White shot blocked by Zach Bogosian.
Devils 0, Thrashers 1 1st - 8:14Dec 18 7:28 PM
- Brent Sopel slap shot on Martin Brodeur.
Devils 0, Thrashers 0 1st - 9:09Dec 18 7:25 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Ron Hainsey, at 10:56.
Devils 0, Thrashers 1 1st - 9:04Dec 18 7:25 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 18 7:09 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Henrique scores 2, Devils beat Leafs in season finale Apr 9
- Devils sign Boston College's Steven Santini, Miles Wood Apr 8
- Maple Leafs-Devils Preview Apr 8
- Devils' John Hynes to coach USA national team Apr 8
- NHL Capsules Apr 8