Blues top Thrashers in AtlantaDec 22, 2010 - 3:35 AM
Alexander Steen and Brad Boyes each had a goal for the Blues, who had dropped four of five coming into the game. Ty Conklin stopped 37 shots in the win.
"We stuck to the details in this game," said St. Louis head coach Davis Payne. "We knew that they were a really good forechecking team with some skill in the back as well. We knew how important that first goal would be especially with both teams playing back-to-back nights."
Bryan Little and Dustin Byfuglien both lit the lamp for the Thrashers, who had won four of six prior to the setback. Chris Mason stopped 23-of-26 shots in the loss.
"You have to dig down and find a way to win," said Atlanta head coach Craig Ramsay. "In the third period we put everything out on the line and it caught up with us. We have to re-group quickly because we're back on the ice in two days."
The Blues got on board 5:07 in as a turnover in the Atlanta zone saw Chris Porter come up with the puck and center it for Boyes, who ripped it past Mason.
Little tied it 1:36 later when he finished a rush by tapping home a rebound of an Evander Kane shot for his 10th goal of the season.
Steen made it 2-1 with 1:21 left in the second when he sent home a wrister from the right circle off a Barret Jackman left-point feed.
Pietrangelo gave the Blues a 3-1 lead just 2:13 into the third when he blasted a shot from the right point past Mason off a faceoff win.
Byfuglien got it back to one when he banged the puck in off the goaltender from behind the net with 7:23 to play.
A penalty to B.J. Crombeen saw Atlanta got on the power play with 1:58 to play and the team pulled Mason for a 6-on-4 advantage, but Sobotka iced the game with his empty-netter with 48 seconds left on the clock.
St. Louis hosts Detroit on Thursday...Atlanta plays in Boston on Thursday...The Blues won both matchups with Atlanta this season. The other came on October 30 in St. Louis as the Blues took a 4-3 shootout win...Both teams went 0-for-4 on the power play.
- ST. LOUIS: 4
Dec 21 9:33 PM
- Tobias Enstrom wrist shot on Ty Conklin.
Blues 4, Thrashers 2 3rd - 0:13Dec 21 9:33 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Dustin Byfuglien (12), from Tobias Enstrom at 12:37.
Blues 3, Thrashers 2 3rd - 7:23Dec 21 9:18 PM
- St Louis Goal - Alex Pietrangelo (4), from Vladimir Sobotka at 2:13.
Blues 3, Thrashers 1 3rd - 17:47Dec 21 8:58 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 21 8:37 PM
- St Louis Goal - Alexander Steen (11), from Barret Jackman at 18:39.
Blues 2, Thrashers 1 2nd - 1:21Dec 21 8:34 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 1
End of 1st
Dec 21 7:43 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Bryan Little (10), from Evander Kane at 6:43.
Blues 1, Thrashers 1 1st - 13:17Dec 21 7:20 PM
- St Louis Goal - Brad Boyes, at 5:07.
Blues 1, Thrashers 0 1st - 14:53Dec 21 7:15 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 21 7:08 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Sharks power play helps drive postseason success May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18