Lundqvist shines, Rangers top DevilsDec 30, 2010 - 8:52 AM
"It doesn't matter how we do it, as long as we get the points," said Lundqvist, who finished with a season high in saves. "It's hard to be perfect every night but we've found ways to win and get points."
Brandon Dubinsky had a goal and an assist for the Rangers, who have won five of their last seven games. Brian Boyle and Michal Rozsival also lit the lamp for the victors.
Travis Zajac tallied the lone goal for the Devils, who have lost six straight and 11 of their last 12 games. Jacques Lemaire was handed his third straight loss after taking over as the New Jersey head coach for the third time last week.
Martin Brodeur stopped 23-of-25 shots in the loss.
"There's a lot of frustration. It's been that kind of year," said New Jersey defenseman Andy Greene. "All we can do is show up every day and work. I know it sounds cliche but that's all we can do."
The Rangers took the lead for good at the 13:22 mark of the second period thanks to a lucky bounce on a delayed penalty.
Dubinsky handled the puck from behind the net and slipped it to Rozsival for a one-timer at the right circle. The shot appeared to be sailing well wide, however, it caromed off Greene's thigh and fluttered into the net.
Meanwhile, Lundqvist was solid between the pipes in the middle frame, withstanding a 20-shot barrage unscathed.
During the final period, New York killed off three penalties, including a Chris Drury holding call with less than four minutes left to play.
Brodeur was pulled late for an extra attacker, but Dubinsky added an empty- netter with six seconds left to ice the game for the Blueshirts.
The Devils drew first blood just 6 1/2 minutes into the game as they ripped off several shots on the Rangers' net. Finally, Zajac collected the loose puck in the high slot and wristed it into the net.
Only 47 seconds later, Boyle answered back for the Rangers with his 14th goal of the season. Brandon Prust charged down the right boards to start the play and centered the puck to Ruslan Fedotenko, who dropped it off to Boyle. He then wristed a shot from the left circle that bounced just under Brodeur's glove.
New York has won three in a row over New Jersey this season and five of its last six over New Jersey since this past February...Rangers forward Erik Christensen left the game in the second period with a knee injury and did not return...The Rangers improved to 13-6-0 on the road this year and the Devils slipped to 5-11-2 at The Rock...New Jersey has been outscored 27-6 during its six game slide and failed to score more than two goals for the 28th time in 36 games this season.
- NEW YORK: 3
NEW JERSEY: 1
Dec 29 9:35 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 29 8:37 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Michal Rozsival (3), from Brandon Dubinsky and Derek Stepan at 13:22.
Rangers 2, Devils 1 2nd - 6:38Dec 29 8:23 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Dec 29 7:42 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brian Boyle (14), from Ruslan Fedotenko and Brandon Prust at 7:18.
Rangers 1, Devils 1 1st - 12:42Dec 29 7:18 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Travis Zajac (5), from Mattias Tedenby and Ilya Kovalchuk at 6:31.
Rangers 0, Devils 1 1st - 13:29Dec 29 7:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 29 7:08 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26