Thornton helps Sharks slip past ChicagoDec 31, 2010 - 4:33 AM
Scott Nichol, Benn Ferriero, Dany Heatley and Ryane Clowe added goals for the Sharks, who ended a two-game slide. Dan Boyle and Marc-Edouard Vlasic both added a pair of assists in the victory.
Antti Niemi turned aside 26 to earn his third victory of the season against the team he backstopped to the Stanley Cup title last season.
Patrick Sharp, Troy Brouwer and Brian Campbell posted goals for the Blackhawks, who have dropped two in a row following a four-game win streak.
Marty Turco stopped 20-of-24 shots in defeat.
Thornton was stationed in front when he tipped home Vlasic's point shot 7:13 into the final period to put the Sharks ahead, 4-3. Clowe added an empty-net goal with 48 seconds remaining to sew up the victory.
Sharp's wrist shot from below the left circle put the hosts on the board 15:44 into the game before Vlasic's outlet pass led Nichol up the right side from where he blasted a slap shot past Turco from the circle with 66 ticks left in the period to even the score.
San Jose took advantage of a 5-on-3 power play early in the middle session to grab the lead when Logan Couture slid a cross-ice pass to Ferriero, who roofed a wrist shot over a sprawling Turco from the left doorstep at 1:45.
Heatley added another power play tally with a wrist shot that beat Turco at 13:46 before the hosts scored twice in the final 30 seconds of the period to knot the score.
Brouwer's power play wrister at 19:37 made it a 3-2 game before Campbell took a feed between the circles and wristed it past Niemi with 0.5 seconds to go in the session.
Thornton has 11 goals and 40 points in 33 games versus Chicago...Nichol's goal was just his second in 35 matches against the Blackhawks...Turco is 24-16-5 in 46 games against the Sharks...Campbell's goal was his second in 15 meetings with San Jose.
- SAN JOSE: 5
Dec 30 10:59 PM
- San Jose Goal - Ryane Clowe (10), at 19:12.
Sharks 5, Blackhawks 3 3rd - 0:48Dec 30 10:57 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Thornton (10), at 7:13.
Sharks 4, Blackhawks 3 3rd - 12:47Dec 30 10:34 PM
- SAN JOSE: 3
End of 2nd
Dec 30 10:04 PM
- Chicago Goal - Brian Campbell (2), from Dave Bolland at 19:59.
Sharks 3, Blackhawks 3 2nd - 0:01Dec 30 10:04 PM
- Chicago Power-Play Goal - Troy Brouwer (10), at 19:37.
Sharks 3, Blackhawks 2 2nd - 0:23Dec 30 10:03 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Dany Heatley (15), at 13:46.
Sharks 3, Blackhawks 1 2nd - 6:14Dec 30 9:52 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Ryane Clowe (10), at 1:45.
Sharks 2, Blackhawks 1 2nd - 18:15Dec 30 9:33 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Dec 30 9:13 PM
- San Jose Goal - Scott Nichol, from Marc-Edouard Vlasic at 18:54.
Sharks 1, Blackhawks 1 1st - 1:06Dec 30 9:10 PM
- Brent Seabrook slap shot is wide.
Sharks 0, Blackhawks 1 1st - 4:17Dec 30 9:06 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 30 8:39 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18