Doan's tally helps Coyotes double up Blue JacketsJan 5, 2011 - 5:49 AM Glendale, AZ (Sports Network) - Shane Doan's goal just after the midpoint of the third period helped lead the Phoenix Coyotes to a 4-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Vernon Fiddler, Scottie Upshall and Sami Lepisto also scored for the Coyotes, who halted a two-game skid. Ilya Bryzgalov posted 26 saves in the win.
R.J. Umberger and Jakub Voracek scored for the Blue Jackets, who have dropped two straight on the heels of a three-game win streak.
Mathieu Garon allowed four goals on 33 shots in the loss.
With the scored tied 2-2, a wrister by Keith Yandle from near the left half- wall was deflected into the back of the cage by Doan from near the crease with 8:49 to play in regulation.
Only 52 seconds later, Fiddler's fourth goal gave the hosts a bit of breathing room. A one-timer from the right point by Adrian Aucoin deflected directly onto the stick of Fiddler, who was all alone at the right post for an easy tap-in tally and a two-goal edge.
"It was a strange game, but we'll take the points," said Phoenix coach Dave Tippett. "There was not a lot of excitement, but we got a lead, and that seemed to give us more energy."
Phoenix cruised the rest of the way and never looked back.
After Upshall opened the scoring at 6:40 of the middle stanza with a backhander rebound marker from the left post, Lepisto's third goal of the season made it 2-0 less than three minutes later.
During a scramble in front, Lepisto pinched in from the point, collected a rebound near the top of the crease and lit the lamp with a backhander with 10:23 to go in the stanza.
Over two minutes later, Umberger's 14th goal cut Columbus' deficit in half.
At the 7:51 mark of the third, the visitors knotted the contest with the only power-play goal of the night. Derick Brassard, from the left circle, sent a pass across the low slot for a successful one-timer by Voracek from the opposite side.
"I saw Voracek near the other post, so I just tried to freeze the defenseman to create room for the pass," said Brassard.
The Jackets were 1-for-2 on the power play, while the Coyotes were scoreless on four chances with the extra skater...Brassard had two assists, as did Phoenix's Eric Belanger...Garon stopped all 14 Phoenix shots in the first. hots in the first.
- COLUMBUS: 2
Jan 4 11:34 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Vernon Fiddler (4), at 12:03.
Blue Jackets 2, Coyotes 4 3rd - 7:57Jan 4 11:20 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Shane Doan (10), from Keith Yandle and Eric Belanger at 11:11.
Blue Jackets 2, Coyotes 3 3rd - 8:49Jan 4 11:16 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal - Jakub Voracek (8), from Derick Brassard and Fedor Tyutin at 7:51.
Blue Jackets 2, Coyotes 2 3rd - 12:09Jan 4 11:07 PM
- COLUMBUS: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 4 10:37 PM
- R.J. Umberger wrist shot on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Blue Jackets 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 8:04Jan 4 10:23 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Sami Lepisto (3), at 9:37.
Blue Jackets 0, Coyotes 2 2nd - 10:23Jan 4 10:20 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Scottie Upshall (11), from Eric Belanger and Shane Doan at 6:40.
Blue Jackets 0, Coyotes 1 2nd - 13:20Jan 4 10:15 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
End of 1st
Jan 4 9:45 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 4 9:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19