Oilers halt slide with home win over IslesJan 7, 2011 - 6:41 AM
Gilbert Brule and Dustin Penner notched first-period scores for the Oilers, who hadn't seen the win column since a December 16 victory against Columbus.
"You know we seem to be more on top of the puck," said Edmonton head coach Tom Renney. "We got pucks to the net, we were more in control of ourselves."
Blake Comeau netted the lone tally for the Islanders, who saw their three-game win streak stopped in the start of a four-game road trip.
Nathan Lawson was pulled after giving up both Oiler goals on just three shots in just over five minutes of action. Kevin Poulin spelled him for the remainder of the contest and registered 19 saves.
"You always want to be in there but if that's what it takes to spark the team, I'm a team guy," Lawson admitted. "I just try to stay on an even keel."
Brule tallied at the 3:22 mark of the first when he poked in the rebound of an Andrew Cogliano blast.
Penner's short-handed tally at 5:17 gave the Oilers a quick two-goal edge. He was in flight along the left wing when he took a Cogliano feed, cut towards the slot and beat Lawson on the backhand.
"We thought we could get on this team right from the beginning of the game, and it was good to get a couple of quick goals to get us going and get our feet under us," Cogliano said.
Comeau put the Islanders on the board at the 13-minute mark of the second when he converted a Rob Schremp pass from in front, but that was all the visitors could muster.
Dubnyk made sure the one-goal margin stood during an eight-save third period.
Edmonton has won three of the last four meetings with New York since January, 2008...The Islanders scratched forward Frans Nielsen due to a groin injury and listed him as day-to-day...Oilers defenseman Jim Vandermeer suffered a leg injury late in the first period and did not return...The Isles fell to 0-12-2 this season when outshooting their opponent.
- NEW YORK: 1
Jan 6 11:28 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 6 10:35 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Blake Comeau (9), at 13:00.
Islanders 1, Oilers 2 2nd - 7:00Jan 6 10:22 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Jan 6 9:43 PM
- Shot blocked by Zenon Konopka.
Islanders 0, Oilers 2 1st - 14:03Jan 6 9:19 PM
- Dustin Penner backhand shot on Nathan Lawson.
Islanders 0, Oilers 1 1st - 14:43Jan 6 9:17 PM
- Edmonton Short-Handed Goal - Dustin Penner (12), from Andrew Cogliano at 5:17.
Islanders 0, Oilers 2 1st - 14:43Jan 6 9:17 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Gilbert Brule (6), from Andrew Cogliano and Dustin Penner at 3:22.
Islanders 0, Oilers 1 1st - 16:38Jan 6 9:14 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 6 9:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7