Ryan records hat trick, Ducks down BluesJan 13, 2011 - 6:34 AM
Lubomir Visnovsky had a goal and two assists for the Ducks, who were coming off back-to-back shutouts. Corey Perry added a goal and an assist for Anaheim, which got one goal apiece from Jason Blake and Brandon McMillan.
Jonas Hiller, who was in the net for both shutouts, made 30 saves for the Ducks, who went 5-1-0 during their homestand.
"We've realized that on a homestand you really need to come out and put your best foot forward," Ryan said. "The month of December was a little bit ugly. We've gone on streaks all year long. We need to come out at home, establish the forecheck and our identity."
David Backes had two goals for the Blues, who have dropped five straight games. Brad Boyes and Ryan Reaves also lit the lamp.
Ty Conklin allowed all seven goals on 24 shots.
Ryan got the scoring started with a power-play goal at the 3:31 mark of the first period. Joffrey Lupul slid a pass to the right circle for Ryan, whose wrister beat Conklin.
At the 7:21 mark, Blake controlled the puck behind the net before coming out front and firing a shot. The disc hit off the skate of a Blues defenseman and went into the net.
A great play from Perry with 1:43 left helped give the Ducks a 3-0 lead. Perry was being checked to the ice behind the net, but somehow managed to one-hand a pass in front. Ryan was right there for the easy tip-in.
St. Louis got a pair of goals from Backes in the second stanza to make things interesting. Backes' first goal came on a breakaway at the 3:44 mark.
Less than three minutes later, Backes beat Hiller with a wrister from the left circle to make it 3-2.
Ryan completed his hat trick just 30 seconds into the third. Andreas Lilja's slapper from the right point hit off the stick of Ryan and beat Conklin.
"The first one was a weird play. It came off the cycle and I tried to push it low. Lupul made a great play through the slot area to find me. I had a lot of net to shoot it," Ryan said. "The whole play with Perry, I was in the right spot at the right time. The third one, Lilja made a great shot. I was the benefactor of a lot of good plays around me tonight. It was nice to have those."
Perry gave Anaheim a 5-2 edge at the 6:17 mark. Conklin tried to play the puck behind his own net, but Perry stole the disc and converted an easy wraparound.
Visnovsky's slapper from the point on the power play made it 6-2 with 6:40 to play. McMillan scored a power-play goal of his own less than two minutes later to make it a five-goal game.
Reaves' first career goal came with 3:40 left, and Boyes lit the lamp with 2:02 remaining to account for the final score.
"You look at the start they got off to - they got a pretty good jump on us," Blues coach Davis Payne said. "They scored a power play goal, but we stayed with it. We got ourselves back in the game, but we made some mental mistakes early that cost us. We got back on track in the second, but to have them pull ahead by two that quickly was a tough one to overcome. It's one thing to not have your legs going early, but the mental preparation has to be better."
The Blues had won two in a row against the Ducks...The first St. Louis goal snapped Hiller's career-high shutout streak at 178:34...The Blues went 1-for-5 on the power play, while the Ducks finished 3-for-4...Ryan has scored three of the club's last four hat tricks.
- ST. LOUIS: 4
Jan 13 12:38 AM
- St Louis Power-Play Goal - Brad Boyes (10), from Matt D'Agostini at 17:58.
Blues 4, Ducks 7 3rd - 2:02Jan 13 12:34 AM
- ST. LOUIS: 3
3rd Period - 2:32
Blues 3, Ducks 7 3rd - 2:32Jan 13 12:33 AM
- Anaheim Power-Play Goal - Brandon McMillan (4), from Andy Sutton at 15:16.
Blues 2, Ducks 7 3rd - 4:44Jan 13 12:27 AM
- Anaheim Power-Play Goal - Lubomir Visnovsky (8), at 13:20.
Blues 2, Ducks 6 3rd - 6:40Jan 13 12:16 AM
- Anaheim Goal - Corey Perry (22), at 6:17.
Blues 2, Ducks 5 3rd - 13:43Jan 13 12:03 AM
- Anaheim Goal - Bobby Ryan (21), at :30.
Blues 2, Ducks 4 3rd - 19:30Jan 12 11:54 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 12 11:35 PM
- St Louis Goal - David Backes (14), at 6:15.
Blues 2, Ducks 3 2nd - 13:45Jan 12 11:10 PM
- St Louis Goal - David Backes (13), from Vladimir Sobotka at 3:44.
Blues 1, Ducks 3 2nd - 16:16Jan 12 11:06 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
End of 1st
Jan 12 10:44 PM
- Anaheim Goal - Bobby Ryan (20), at 18:17.
Blues 0, Ducks 3 1st - 1:43Jan 12 10:40 PM
- Anaheim Goal - Jason Blake (9), from Saku Koivu at 7:21.
Blues 0, Ducks 2 1st - 12:39Jan 12 10:21 PM
- Anaheim Power-Play Goal - Bobby Ryan (19), at 3:31.
Blues 0, Ducks 1 1st - 16:29Jan 12 10:13 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 12 10:08 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Sharks power play helps drive postseason success May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18