Jokinen helps 'Canes overcome LightningJan 16, 2011 - 4:43 AM
Eric Staal registered a goal and two assists for the Hurricanes, who have won four of their last five games. Erik Cole had three helpers and Cam Ward made 30 saves.
Simon Gagne lit the lamp twice for the Southeast Division-leading Lightning, who have dropped three of four. Dwayne Roloson stopped 25 shots in defeat.
Gagne scored a breakaway goal and the Lightning trailed 5-4 with 8:55 remaining in the third period. Jokinen, though, hit the empty-net in the waning moments to seal the victory, Carolina's 11th in the last 15 meetings with Tampa Bay.
"I think we deserved to have a close game because we worked hard enough, but we'd never deserve to win because we weren't smart," said Lightning head coach Guy Boucher.
Steven Stamkos netted his league-leading 33rd goal of the season to give Tampa Bay a 1-0 lead 1:44 into the contest. Chad LaRose countered for Carolina with his first career power-play goal three minutes later, collecting an outlet pass from Joe Corvo out of the penalty box and beating Roloson on a breakaway.
Rookie Jeff Skinner jumped on a rebound to put Carolina on top with 2:37 remaining in the opening period, but Tampa Bay's Vincent Lecavalier drove down the middle and tapped in a Martin St. Louis feed with 22.4 seconds to go before the first intermission.
Gagne whipped a backhander past Ward to give the Lightning a 3-2 lead 62 seconds into the middle stanza, but the Hurricanes responded with consecutive power-play goals in a span of 2:12.
Jamie McBain tied it back up as he pumped home a rebound by Roloson and Jokinen scored on a two-man advantage, firing a wrister from the slot behind the Tampa Bay netminder to make it 4-3 at 6:31 of the second period.
Carolina's special teams struck again, this time while down a man as Staal slid a backhander between the pads of Roloson a little over six minutes later. It was the ninth shorthanded goal Tampa Bay has yielded this season.
"I thought our penalty killing was outstanding. Special teams was the difference in the game for us," said Carolina head coach Paul Maurice.
Ward appeared in his 309th career game for the Hurricanes, tying Arturs Irbe for the most by a goaltender in franchise history...The Lightning had won five straight against Southeast Division opponents...Roloson remains stuck on 199 career wins.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
Jan 15 9:38 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Empty Net Goal - Jussi Jokinen (10), from Eric Staal and Erik Cole at 19:53.
Lightning 4, Hurricanes 6 3rd - 0:07Jan 15 9:36 PM
- Sean Bergenheim shot blocked by Joe Corvo.
Lightning 4, Hurricanes 5 3rd - 8:25Jan 15 9:18 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
3rd Period - 9:13
Lightning 3, Hurricanes 5 3rd - 9:13Jan 15 9:16 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Simon Gagne (6), at 11:05.
Lightning 4, Hurricanes 5 3rd - 8:55Jan 15 9:16 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 15 8:42 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
2nd Period - 7:15
Lightning 3, Hurricanes 5 2nd - 7:15Jan 15 8:28 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Jussi Jokinen (9), at 6:31.
Lightning 3, Hurricanes 4 2nd - 13:29Jan 15 8:16 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Jamie McBain (2), from Eric Staal and Joe Corvo at 4:19.
Lightning 3, Hurricanes 3 2nd - 15:41Jan 15 8:10 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Simon Gagne (5), at 1:01.
Lightning 3, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 18:59Jan 15 8:06 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 1st
Jan 15 7:47 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (8), at 19:37.
Lightning 2, Hurricanes 2 1st - 0:23Jan 15 7:45 PM
- Ian White shot blocked by Randy Jones.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 2 1st - 2:39Jan 15 7:41 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Chad LaRose (8), at 4:42.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 1 1st - 15:18Jan 15 7:16 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (33), from Steve Downie and Pavel Kubina at 1:44.
Lightning 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 18:16Jan 15 7:10 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 15 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17