Kulikov nets OT winner as Panthers top DevilsJan 16, 2011 - 5:00 AM
In the extra session, Kulikov faked a shot at the top of the left circle, used a toe drag to get the puck into the slot, and snapped a wrister past Martin Brodeur's glove for the win.
"It hurts to give up that late goal and let them tie it," said Kulikov. "But that overtime goal was huge for the team and special for me. I was just waiting for some room to open up before shooting it."
Dennis Wideman had a goal and an assist and Evgeny Dadonov also scored for the Panthers, who have won three straight. Scott Clemmensen made 33 stops in the win.
David Clarkson and Nick Palmieri scored for the Devils, who failed to build on just their second two-game winning streak of the season. Brodeur stopped 19 shots in defeat.
"One point is better than none," said Clarkson. "It's something we hope we can build on. We didn't come out tonight with the jump we had in the previous two, but we got a point and that's something."
The Devils took the lead 5:01 into the contest, when Palmieri stuffed in the rebound of a Travis Zajac turnaround shot at the right side.
Florida, though, tied the game with under five minutes to play in the first. With the Panthers on the power play, Dadonov wristed in the puck from the low right circle for his fourth goal of the season.
Just 2:15 into the second, the Panthers took the lead with another power-play goal. Kulikov kept the puck at the left point and fired it down to the midboards for Mike Santorelli, who then sent it over to the right side, where Wideman wristed it home.
Clarkson stuffed in the puck from the left side 8:47 into the third, tying the game. It was his eighth goal of the season.
The Panthers host the Thrashers on Monday...The Devils play in New York against the Islanders on Monday...This was the first meeting between the teams this season. They split the four-game series last season...Florida went 2- for-4 on the power play while New Jersey was 0-for-4.
- NEW JERSEY: 2
Final - OT
Jan 15 9:30 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
End of Regulation
Jan 15 9:24 PM
- New Jersey Goal - David Clarkson (8), at 8:47.
Devils 2, Panthers 2 3rd - 11:13Jan 15 9:06 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 15 8:35 PM
- Florida Goal - Dennis Wideman, from Michael Santorelli at 2:15.
Devils 1, Panthers 2 2nd - 17:45Jan 15 8:03 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Jan 15 7:41 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Evgeni Dadonov (4), at 15:07.
Devils 1, Panthers 1 1st - 4:53Jan 15 7:33 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Nick Palmieri (2), from Travis Zajac at 5:01.
Devils 1, Panthers 0 1st - 14:59Jan 15 7:15 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 15 7:08 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30