Stoll keys Kings' win over OilersJan 16, 2011 - 6:49 AM
Drew Doughty and Marco Sturm each had a goal and an assist while Anze Kopitar scored for the Kings, who had dropped seven of eight coming into the game. Jonathan Bernier stopped 24 shots in the victory.
Andrew Cogliano and Dustin Penner scored for the Oilers, who have lost three of their last four. Devan Dubnyk allowed four goals on 22 shots in the loss.
Edmonton took the initial lead in the game when Penner, from behind the net, sticked the puck to the side and lifted it behind Bernier 6:02 into the contest.
Sturm tied the game 11:13 into the first when his sweeping shot of a bouncing puck at the left circle snuck into the right corner of the net.
The Kings then took a 2-1 lead with 5:11 to play in the first as Justin Williams rushed down the other end to the front of the net and passed it over to the left side where Kopitar banked it off of Dubnyk and into the net.
However, the Oilers tied the game a minute later as Cogliano snapped home a loose puck in the slot for his sixth goal of the year.
The Kings got the only goal of the second period to make it a 3-2 game. Dustin Brown took the bounce pass from Sturm off the boards in the neutral zone and skated down the right side. His pass to the front was taken by Stoll, who went backhand to forehand and snapped it in at the 7:08 mark.
Bernier made 10 saves in the middle period to help Los Angeles take the one- goal edge into the final frame.
"I thought the second period was really good," Stoll said. "We were in their zone quite a bit of the time...obviously that's our strength, you know, good things happen out there."
The Kings got an insurance goal 2:44 into the third as Doughty picked off the puck in the neutral zone, skated up the middle and snapped a wrister into the right corner of the net.
Stoll's empty-netter with 1:50 to play sealed the win.
"We got to find a way to execute and make sure we're getting momentum for our power play if we're not scoring," Oilers forward Sam Gagner said. "Right now that's not the case and they got a couple chances short-handed. It's obviously not good enough and we need to find a way to rectify it."
Los Angeles plays in Dallas on Monday...Edmonton plays in Anaheim on Sunday...The Kings also took a 3-2 shootout win over Edmonton on December 23...Neither team scored on the power play as Edmonton had five chances and Los Angeles two.
- EDMONTON: 2
LOS ANGELES: 5
Jan 16 12:48 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jarret Stoll (13), from Dustin Brown at 18:10.
Oilers 2, Kings 5 3rd - 1:50Jan 16 12:43 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Drew Doughty (3), at 2:44.
Oilers 2, Kings 4 3rd - 17:16Jan 16 12:13 AM
- EDMONTON: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 15 11:50 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jarret Stoll, at 7:08.
Oilers 2, Kings 4 2nd - 12:52Jan 15 11:26 PM
- Magnus Paajarvi shot on Jonathan Bernier.
Oilers 2, Kings 3 2nd - 13:00Jan 15 11:26 PM
- EDMONTON: 2
LOS ANGELES: 2
End of 1st
Jan 15 10:56 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Liam Reddox, at 15:56.
Oilers 2, Kings 2 1st - 4:04Jan 15 10:48 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Anze Kopitar (16), at 14:49.
Oilers 1, Kings 2 1st - 5:11Jan 15 10:46 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Marco Sturm (12), at 11:13.
Oilers 1, Kings 1 1st - 8:47Jan 15 10:40 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Dustin Penner (14), at 6:02.
Oilers 1, Kings 0 1st - 13:58Jan 15 10:28 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 15 10:19 PM
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2