Couture lifts San Jose over PhoenixJan 18, 2011 - 1:24 AM
Dany Heatley and Joe Thornton both posted a goal and one assist for the Sharks, who have won two in a row to erase a six-game slide.
"Pucks are starting to go in the net," Heatley said. "I think we're playing better as a team. We did a lot of real good things tonight."
Patrick Marleau celebrated his 1,000th career game -- all for San Jose -- with a goal and Antti Niemi picked up the win by making 34 saves.
Derek Morris and Oliver Ekman-Larsson tallied for the Coyotes, whose four-game win streak came to an end. Ilya Bryzgalov allowed three goals on 35 shots in defeat.
"We had some opportunities. I didn't think we were sharp around the net," said Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett.
Phoenix got within 3-2 as the clock ticked under eight minutes left in regulation when Ekman-Larsson notched his first NHL goal when he one-timed a shot home from the left circle.
Thornton hit the empty net with 49 seconds to play.
Marleau notched the game's first goal just 3:45 in, when his quick shot from the outer edge of the left circle slipped in on the far side.
Phoenix equalized at 12:09, when a slap pass by Morris from the right point changed direction in the slot off a San Jose skate and veered in.
Heatley's backhander from a Thornton feed just over four minutes into the second gave the Sharks a one-goal edge, and Couture redirected a Dan Boyle pass by Bryzgalov for a power-play score at 17:19 to make it 3-1 for San Jose.
Marleau became the 259th player in NHL history to reach the plateau and the sixth this season to reach the mark (Sergei Gonchar, Ryan Smyth, Mike Grier, Craig Conroy and Ed Jovanovski)...He is also the Sharks franchise leader in games played...San Jose has won both meetings this season and six in a row since December, 2009.
- SAN JOSE: 4
Jan 17 6:34 PM
- Martin Hanzal wrist shot is wide.
Sharks 4, Coyotes 2 3rd - 0:36Jan 17 6:31 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Oliver Ekman-Larsson, from Lauri Korpikoski and Lee Stempniak at 12:01.
Sharks 3, Coyotes 2 3rd - 7:59Jan 17 6:14 PM
- SAN JOSE: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 17 5:36 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Logan Couture (20), at 17:19.
Sharks 3, Coyotes 1 2nd - 2:41Jan 17 5:31 PM
- Patrick Marleau wrist shot on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Sharks 2, Coyotes 1 2nd - 14:21Jan 17 5:07 PM
- Niclas Wallin slap shot on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Sharks 1, Coyotes 1 2nd - 16:06Jan 17 5:04 PM
- San Jose Goal - Dany Heatley (18), from Logan Couture at 4:03.
Sharks 2, Coyotes 1 2nd - 15:57Jan 17 5:04 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Jan 17 4:43 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Derek Morris (4), from Keith Yandle and Eric Belanger at 12:09.
Sharks 1, Coyotes 1 1st - 7:51Jan 17 4:27 PM
- Taylor Pyatt tip-in shot is wide.
Jan 17 4:15 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19