Penguins shade HurricanesJan 23, 2011 - 4:28 AM
Dupuis had given the Penguins a 3-0 lead at the 7:28 mark of the third period, but the Hurricanes got goals from Sergei Samsonov and Eric Staal.
Samsonov spoiled Marc-Andre Fleury's shutout bid at 15:35, then Staal pumped in a rebound of a Joe Corvo shot to draw Carolina within one with 57.8 seconds remaining and goaltender Cam Ward on the bench.
The Hurricanes pulled Ward again, but couldn't net the equalizer.
Mark Letestu and Dustin Jeffrey also lit the lamp for the Penguins, who have won four of their last five games. Fleury made 24 saves.
Ward stopped 28 shots for Carolina, which has dropped four of six.
"We didn't get enough (pucks) to the net and I thought we missed the net on some of our better opportunities," said Hurricanes head coach Paul Maurice.
Pittsburgh got on the board during a 4-on-4 situation at 17:14 of the second period. Jeffrey let go a shot from the right point that made its way through traffic and behind Ward.
"Getting the first goal, especially towards the end of the (second) period, was a big break for us and then we came out strong in the third," said Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma.
Letestu made it 2-0 with a power-play goal at 2:22 of the third. On the rush, Letestu took a pass from Chris Kunitz and fired a wrister from the slot that beat Ward.
Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby missed his eighth straight game due to a mild concussion, while Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin sat out his second consecutive game with a knee injury. Malkin is also battling a sinus infection...The Penguins have gone 14-4-1 in their last 19 home games...Pittsburgh improved to 11-2-0 against the Southeast Division this season.
- CAROLINA: 2
Jan 22 9:32 PM
- Carolina Goal - Sergei Samsonov (9), from Jiri Tlusty at 15:35.
Hurricanes 1, Penguins 3 3rd - 4:25Jan 22 9:22 PM
- Pittsburgh Short-Handed Goal - Pascal Dupuis (10), at 7:28.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 3 3rd - 12:32Jan 22 9:08 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Mark Letestu (10), from Chris Kunitz and Kris Letang at 2:22.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 2 3rd - 17:38Jan 22 8:58 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
End of 2nd
Jan 22 8:36 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Dustin Jeffrey (2), at 17:14.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 1 2nd - 2:46Jan 22 8:30 PM
- Erik Cole wrist shot on Marc-Andre Fleury.
Hurricanes 0, Penguins 0 2nd - 3:58Jan 22 8:27 PM
- Carolina Goal - Erik Cole (13), at 16:02.
Hurricanes 1, Penguins 0 2nd - 3:58Jan 22 8:27 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
End of 1st
Jan 22 7:44 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 22 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17