Red Wings best DevilsJan 27, 2011 - 7:14 AM
Darren Helm and Johan Franzen each scored a goal while Jimmy Howard made 23 stops for the Red Wings, who came into the game having lost four of six.
Detroit goes into the All-Star break with a mark of 30-13-6, good for the top spot in the Central Division and second place in the Western Conference.
"The way we played today, not giving up much is a step in the right direction," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock. "A couple of days of practice have the guys skating better and being in the positions they need to be."
Brian Rolston scored the lone goal for the Devils, who came into the contest having won four straight and six of seven. Martin Brodeur stopped 26 shots in the loss.
"I think at the end of the day we had a chance to win," said Brodeur. "We played hard, it just didn't turn out the way we wanted it."
New Jersey sits at the bottom of the NHL standings with a record of 16-30-3.
With the score tied in the third, Detroit made it a 2-1 game 5:32 in as Jiri Hudler sent a hard pass from the right circle to the low left side where Filppula wristed it home.
New Jersey had a goal waived off with 2:28 to play as officials said that Howard was pushed into the net by a Devil.
The Red Wings sealed the win in the final minute as Franzen took a pass in the slot and switched from the backhand to the forehand before snapping a wrister past Brodeur.
Helm scored 1:43 into the contest when he stole the puck in the neutral zone and buried the disc in the right corner for a 1-0 lead.
Rolston, though, tied the game less than five minutes later when he jammed the puck into the goal during a scramble in front.
Detroit returns to play next Wednesday at Ottawa...New Jersey hosts Ottawa next Tuesday...Detroit has won six of the last seven with New Jersey...Both teams went 0-for-3 on the power play.
- NEW JERSEY: 1
Jan 26 10:02 PM
- Detroit Goal - Johan Franzen (21), from Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall at 19:16.
Devils 1, Red Wings 3 3rd - 0:44Jan 26 9:59 PM
- Detroit Goal - Valtteri Filppula (12), from Jiri Hudler and Ruslan Salei at 5:32.
Devils 1, Red Wings 2 3rd - 14:28Jan 26 9:30 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 26 9:04 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Jan 26 8:13 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Brian Rolston (6), from Anton Volchenkov and Patrik Elias at 6:40.
Devils 1, Red Wings 1 1st - 13:20Jan 26 7:49 PM
- Detroit Goal - Darren Helm (6), at 1:43.
Devils 0, Red Wings 1 1st - 18:17Jan 26 7:42 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 26 7:38 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28