Armstrong's SO goal lifts Toronto over FloridaFeb 2, 2011 - 4:39 AM
Armstrong used a head fake to get Scott Clemmensen out of position and slipped the puck past the left post. Afterwards, Jean-Sebastien Giguere used his left leg pad to stone Chris Higgins' shot to preserve the win for the home team.
Mikhail Grabovski and Nikolai Kulemin each had a goal and an assist for the Maple Leafs, who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Kris Versteeg also lit the lamp for the victors while Giguere stopped 30-of-33 shots he faced.
Stephen Weiss and Cory Stillman each potted a goal and a helper as the Panthers lost for the sixth time in seven games. David Booth also scored while Clemmensen turned away 23 shots in the loss.
"I didn't like the first period," said Panthers head coach Peter DeBoer. "It looked like we were still on the All-Star break."
Trailing by one for most of the third period, Florida capitalized on a Phil Kessel elbowing penalty called at the 15:45 mark. Just 34 seconds into the power play, Stillman's shot found the back of the net to knot the game at three.
Neither teams were able to score in the overtime period despite the Panthers' dominance with four shots and held the Leafs shotless.
"It's less stressful to score in overtime," said Toronto head coach Ron Wilson. "You hate to have wait for a shootout. I much rather score in overtime."
Versteeg put Toronto on the board first just 7:20 into the contest when he had a sneaky goal from behind the net. After his original shot was stopped by Clemmensen's leg, Versteeg picked up his own rebound and was able to flip the puck off of netminder's back, into the net.
Florida knotted it at one with 1:54 left in the first after a big rebound at the other end created a 3-on-1 rush, which Weiss finished off with a low wrister after Higgin's cross-pass.
It took just 23 seconds, though, for the Leafs to snatch the lead back, 2-1, when Kulemin released a wrist shot from the right circle that sailed past Clemmensen's glove.
The game was tied, 2-2, nearly five minutes into the middle stanza as the Panthers found themselves on a power play with Jay Rosehill's high-sticking call. With time running out in the advantage, Stillman centered the puck from the right side and Booth tapped it in from the top of the crease.
Toronto responded quickly, yet again, 82 seconds after Florida's equalizer off an offensive zone draw to claim a 3-2 edge. Tomas Kaberle sent a shot from the right point, which was deflected by Grabovski and went between the Panthers goalie's leg for a power-play goal.
Toronto hosts Carolina on Thursday, while Florida travels to play Montreal on Wednesday...The Maple Leafs are 11-11-4 on home ice this season...Toronto was 1-for-4 on the power play while the Panthers were 2-for-4.
- FLORIDA: 3
Final - 2OT
Feb 1 9:40 PM
- FLORIDA: 3
End of OT
Feb 1 9:34 PM
- FLORIDA: 3
End of Regulation
Feb 1 9:26 PM
- Florida Goal - Dmitry Kulikov, at 16:19.
Panthers 3, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 3:41Feb 1 9:20 PM
- FLORIDA: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 1 8:34 PM
- Toronto Goal - Mikhail Grabovski, at 6:16.
Panthers 2, Maple Leafs 3 2nd - 13:44Feb 1 8:12 PM
- Michael Frolik tip-in shot is wide.
Panthers 2, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 15:13Feb 1 8:06 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
End of 1st
Feb 1 7:43 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nikolai Kulemin (17), at 18:28.
Panthers 1, Maple Leafs 2 1st - 1:32Feb 1 7:39 PM
- Florida Goal - Stephen Weiss (14), from Chris Higgins and Bryan Allen at 18:05.
Panthers 1, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 1:55Feb 1 7:36 PM
- Toronto Goal - Kris Versteeg (13), from Colby Armstrong and Luke Schenn at 7:20.
Panthers 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 12:40Feb 1 7:20 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 1 7:05 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25