Ovechkin's four-point night lifts Capitals over LightningFeb 5, 2011 - 5:10 AM
Nicklas Backstrom added two goals and two helpers for the Capitals, who pulled within three points of first-place Tampa by snapping a three-game losing streak.
"It felt like a playoff game out there tonight, even if we were slowing it down," said Backstrom. "I think it was just our strategy and wins like this are big for us."
Semyon Varlamov made 23 saves for the victory.
Teddy Purcell and Brett Clark scored for the Lightning, who had surged to the top of the division with a six-game winning streak that just ended.
Dwayne Roloson, who registered shutouts in each of his last two starts against the Caps, surrendered four goals on 35 shots.
"Our grinding guys, the guys who are supposed to shut down, didn't shut it down," said Tampa head coach Guy Boucher. "Our defensemen didn't transition the puck well either. It was one of those games where nobody played well."
Bacsktrom converted an Ovechkin rebound with 7:38 left in regulation to give the Capitals a 4-2 advantage, then after Roloson was pulled for an extra skater with 1:25 remaining, Jason Chimera hit the empty net with assistance from Ovechkin with 37.1 seconds to play.
The Lightning struck first, at 3:21 of the first period when Purcell's shot from the right wing hit the net inside the left post. Bacsktrom answered for the Caps in a 4-on-4 situation at 9:09.
Washington took a 2-1 lead when Brooks Laich flipped a backhander over Roloson from the slot at 6:38 of the second period, then Ovechkin fired home a man- advantage score from the left circle at 8:25.
Clark brought the Bolts to a goal with 41 seconds left in the second during a power play, with a tip-in off a Purcell chance.
Ovechkin set a season high for points in one game, while Backstrom equaled his season-best...Prior to the game, Tampa Bay named Dave Andreychuk and Phil Esposito as vice presidents...Washington has won three of the five meetings this season, with one more scheduled for Tampa on March 7.
- WASHINGTON: 5
TAMPA BAY: 2
Feb 4 10:10 PM
- Washington Empty Net Goal - Jason Chimera (8), from Alex Ovechkin at 19:22.
Capitals 5, Lightning 2 3rd - 0:38Feb 4 10:08 PM
- Mathieu Perreault tip-in shot is wide.
Capitals 4, Lightning 2 3rd - 6:35Feb 4 9:57 PM
- WASHINGTON: 3
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 4 9:15 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Brett Clark (8), at 19:19.
Capitals 3, Lightning 2 2nd - 0:41Feb 4 9:14 PM
- Washington Power-Play Goal - Alex Ovechkin (20), from Nicklas Backstrom and John Carlson at 8:25.
Capitals 3, Lightning 1 2nd - 11:35Feb 4 8:53 PM
- Washington Goal - Brooks Laich (10), at 6:38.
Capitals 2, Lightning 1 2nd - 13:22Feb 4 8:49 PM
- WASHINGTON: 1
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Feb 4 8:19 PM
- Washington Goal - Alex Ovechkin (20), from Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green at 9:09.
Capitals 1, Lightning 1 1st - 10:51Feb 4 7:57 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Teddy Purcell (11), at 3:21.
Capitals 0, Lightning 1 1st - 16:39Feb 4 7:45 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 4 7:39 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17