Kovalchuk leads Devils in rout of CanadiensFeb 6, 2011 - 11:28 PM
Brodeur started in net and stopped 11 shots through the first period, but suffered an apparent knee injury while dropping to the ice as he moved into position to make a save. Hedberg took over in net at the start of the second period.
Travis Zajac totaled a goal and two assists for the Devils, who rebounded from Friday's overtime loss to Florida.
"We played really well," Kovalchuk said. "We moved the puck well, and the (defense) helped us offensively."
Carey Price allowed three goals on 29 shots for the Canadiens, who had won three in a row. P.K. Subban scored Montreal's lone goal.
The Devils took control by scoring two early goals. Dainius Zubrus got them on the board thanks to a turnover behind the Montreal net. Patrik Elias poked the puck away from Canadiens defenseman Hal Gill, and Zubrus gained control before sending a backhand by Price at 1:12.
Kovalchuk tipped in Colin White's point blast at 4:04 to make it a 2-0 game.
New Jersey increased its lead at the 3:16 mark of the second period, when Zajac wristed in a loose puck.
A little more than three minutes later, Subban blasted in a slap shot from the point during a Montreal counter-rush.
But that was the only goal Hedberg gave up, and he stopped all 10 shots he faced in the third period. Kovalchuk scored on an empty net with 1:21 to play, though appeared to merely hit the right goalpost as Subban hooked him from behind. It was ruled a goal and secured the Devils' win.
"I could have easily let him go and not hook him," Subban said. "I don't know. If that's the call, that's the call. I was just trying to get back and not quit on the play."
New Jersey has won two of the three matchups between the clubs so far this season...Kovalchuk has recorded at least one point in every game in February...Price had stopped 64-of-66 shots over his last two starts, both wins.
- NEW JERSEY: 4
Feb 6 5:36 PM
- New Jersey Empty Net Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (17), at 18:39.
Devils 4, Canadiens 1 3rd - 1:21Feb 6 5:31 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 3
End of 2nd
Feb 6 4:43 PM
- Montreal Goal - P.K. Subban (6), at 6:32.
Devils 3, Canadiens 1 2nd - 13:28Feb 6 4:19 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Travis Zajac (9), at 3:16.
Devils 3, Canadiens 0 2nd - 16:44Feb 6 4:14 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
End of 1st
Feb 6 3:51 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (16), at 4:04.
Devils 2, Canadiens 0 1st - 15:56Feb 6 3:22 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Dainius Zubrus (10), at 1:12.
Devils 1, Canadiens 0 1st - 18:48Feb 6 3:17 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 6 3:16 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Capitals are not running from Stanley Cup expectations Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11