Lightning lose late lead, but beat 'Canes in OTFeb 13, 2011 - 6:36 AM
The Lightning held a 3-1 lead late in regulation before Carolina scored twice in a 19-second span with goaltender Cam Ward on the bench for an extra skater.
Sean Bergenheim, who gave Tampa Bay a two-goal cushion in the third period, dished to Bergeron and he let go a wrist shot from the top of the right circle that beat a screened Ward.
"I found a way to sneak one in," Bergeron said of his game-winner.
Steve Downie and Vincent Lecavalier both tallied in the second period for Southeast Division-leading Tampa Bay, which improved to 5-2-0 on its NHL record-tying 12-game homestand.
Dwayne Roloson made 31 saves in the win.
Rookie Jeff Skinner and Erik Cole lit the lamp inside the final minute to force overtime for the Hurricanes, who have dropped three straight and five of six overall.
Ward allowed four goals on 41 shots to take the loss.
Bergenheim, playing in his 300th NHL game, put home a wrist shot at the 12:48 mark of the third, but Carolina mounted a late rally. Skinner's goal came with 52 seconds remaining, then Joni Pitkanen fired a shot from the point that deflected off Cole in the slot and past Roloson.
"We went to the well a little bit to the bench and they played as hard as they could," said Carolina head coach Paul Maurice. "I'm glad we got a good result out the third period, anyway."
Tampa Bay outshot Carolina 15-12 in a scoreless opening 20 minutes.
Downie whipped a backhander behind Ward to put Tampa Bay on the board at 4:26 of the second period before the team captains traded power-play goals later in the frame.
Lecavalier scored on a tip-in at the far side of the net to make it 2-0 at 7:41, but Eric Staal countered at 9:08 when he fired a shot through a maze of skates and between Roloson's pads.
Tampa Bay improved to 11-5-1 against Southeast Division foes this season...The Lightning are 13-4-0 in their last 17 home games...Pitkanen had two assists after missing Thursday's loss in Philadelphia with a lower-body injury...Carolina finished 1-for-8 on the power play, while Tampa Bay was 1- for-5.
- CAROLINA: 3
TAMPA BAY: 3
Feb 12 10:05 PM
- Carolina Goal - Erik Cole (3), from Joni Pitkanen at 19:27.
Hurricanes 3, Lightning 3 3rd - 0:33Feb 12 10:03 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (21), from Eric Staal and Tuomo Ruutu at 19:08.
Hurricanes 2, Lightning 3 3rd - 0:52Feb 12 10:01 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Sean Bergenheim (11), at 12:48.
Hurricanes 1, Lightning 3 3rd - 7:12Feb 12 9:48 PM
- CAROLINA: 1
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 12 9:08 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Erik Cole (15), from Eric Staal at 9:08.
Hurricanes 1, Lightning 2 2nd - 10:52Feb 12 8:51 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (12), from Teddy Purcell and Simon Gagne at 7:41.
Hurricanes 0, Lightning 2 2nd - 12:19Feb 12 8:45 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steve Downie (7), from Martin St. Louis and Steven Stamkos at 4:26.
Hurricanes 0, Lightning 1 2nd - 15:34Feb 12 8:38 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Feb 12 8:15 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 12 7:38 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17