Bertuzzi tallies twice to lead Wings past BostonFeb 13, 2011 - 9:55 PM
Pavel Datsyuk and Kris Draper also tallied for the Red Wings, who notched a 6-1 victory Friday at Boston. The Central Division leaders have won three of their last four games overall.
"I thought we did a real good job. I thought we got better as the game went on," said Detroit head coach Mike Babcock.
Rookies Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand scored first-period goals for Boston, which got 32 saves from Michigan native Tim Thomas. It was the third loss in four games for the Northeast Division leaders.
"We got outplayed. They're a very highly-skilled hockey team," Thomas said. "You can't give them the odd-man rushes and good scoring chances or else they bury them. That's what they did for two games against us."
Boston grabbed a 1-0 lead 1:29 after the game's opening faceoff. Blake Wheeler worked his way out from behind the net and had his wraparound bid turned away by Howard, but Seguin put home the rebound.
The Red Wings tied it up on a wretched turnover by Marchand. While his Boston teammates were in the midst of a line change, the 22-year-old center backpedaled into his own zone. Bertuzzi, who scored two goals in Friday's lopsided win, pressured Marchand and picked off his pass before firing a backhander past Thomas at the 6:09 mark of the first period.
Marchand atoned for his gaffe later in the frame, one-timing a pass from Michael Ryder for a power-play goal with 7:43 remaining.
Datsyuk deposited a rebound to make it 2-2 at 3:54 of the second period and Draper scored the tiebreaking goal, taking a pass from Patrick Eaves and beating Thomas high on the blocker side with 7:16 to play in the middle stanza.
Bertuzzi provided some insurance at 13:35 of the third period.
Detroit improved to 5-2-0 against Original Six teams this season...The Red Wings upped their record to 7-13-3 when trailing after the first period...Boston fell to 3-7-2 versus the Western Conference...Ryder had two assists.
- BOSTON: 2
Feb 13 2:58 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi (12), from Johan Franzen and Henrik Zetterberg at 13:35.
Bruins 2, Red Wings 4 3rd - 6:25Feb 13 2:47 PM
- BOSTON: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 13 2:05 PM
- Justin Abdelkader wrist shot is wide.
Bruins 2, Red Wings 3 2nd - 6:29Feb 13 1:54 PM
- Detroit Goal - Pavel Datsyuk (14), from Brian Rafalski and Jiri Hudler at 3:54.
Bruins 2, Red Wings 2 2nd - 16:06Feb 13 1:38 PM
- BOSTON: 2
End of 1st
Feb 13 1:14 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Brad Marchand (16), from Michael Ryder and Mark Recchi at 12:17.
Bruins 2, Red Wings 1 1st - 7:43Feb 13 1:01 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi (11), at 6:09.
Bruins 1, Red Wings 1 1st - 13:51Feb 13 12:47 PM
- Boston Goal - Blake Wheeler (11), from Tyler Seguin at 1:35.
Bruins 1, Red Wings 0 1st - 18:25Feb 13 12:41 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 13 12:35 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24