Hurricanes honor Brind'Amour, clip Flyers thanks to ColeFeb 19, 2011 - 6:23 AM
Cole's tally came a little more than two minutes after the Flyers' Braydon Coburn tied the game, and helped Carolina snap a nine-game losing streak against Philadelphia.
The Hurricanes had not beaten the Flyers since November 28, 2008, and also recorded their first regulation victory against them since December 19, 2006.
The victory came on the night that the Hurricanes retired Rod Brind'Amour's No. 17. Brind'Amour played with Carolina from 2000-10, after spending eight- plus seasons with Philadelphia. He won a Stanley Cup in 2006, when current Flyers coach Peter Laviolette was the Hurricanes' head man.
Chad LaRose and Jeff Skinner also scored for Carolina, which opened a four- game homestand. Cam Ward made 21 saves.
Blair Betts also lit the lamp for Philadelphia, which had won its last two. Sergei Bobrovsky played well but came up just short in the loss, stopping 26 shots.
Carolina gained control by scoring twice early in the first period, but Philadelphia worked to tie the game, getting on the board 2:57 into the second period with a short-handed goal.
With forward Andreas Nodl in the box for hooking, the Flyers got a chance when Betts carried into the Carolina zone in a 1-on-1 with a Hurricanes defenseman. Betts skated up the center, shifted to his left and wristed the puck over Ward.
Carolina maintained its lead into the third period, but the Flyers' pressure paid off down the stretch.
"Momentum can change very quickly... sometimes within a shift or two," Cole said. "You have to be able to have a short memory and continue to play hard."
Scott Hartnell kept the puck in the zone at the left point and passed to Ville Leino, who moved toward the goal line before centering into a scrum of players. Coburn, meanwhile, was waiting at the inside edge of the right circle and moved into the slot to meet a rebound, blasting it in with 5:11 to play.
However, Philadelphia's defense was caught out of position a few minutes later.
Jussi Jokinen picked up the puck in the neutral zone and skated up the left side of the ice on a 2-on-1 with Cole. Jokinen made a perfect cross-ice pass to enable Cole's one-timer.
The Flyers tried to net another equalizer in the remaining minutes, but Ward made all the necessary saves, including a stop on Jeff Carter's backhand try with about 90 seconds left.
"I liked the way we played in the second period, third period, we were able to tie it up," Laviolette said. "Tough break on that last one. We're pressing, it just comes back. But I would say that early on they grabbed the energy of the building and the energy of the night. They had us a little bit in the first five minutes."
In a potential playoff matchup -- the Flyers lead the Eastern Conference, while Carolina currently holds the eighth spot -- the Hurricanes got the jump on Philadelphia.
LaRose tipped in Joe Corvo's point blast at 4:12, and Skinner beat Bobrovsky five-hole from the left circle at 6:37.
Carolina traded defenseman Ian White to the San Jose Sharks for a second-round pick in 2012...Hurricanes acquired defenseman Derek Joslin from SJ for future considerations...Carolina went 0-for-6 on the power play, while Philadelphia was 0-for-3...Flyers center Mike Richards did not play because of flu-like symptoms...Brind'Amour was the third player in Hurricanes history to have his number retired, joining Ron Francis (10) and Glen Wesley (2).
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
Feb 18 10:32 PM
- Carolina Goal - Erik Cole (17), from Jussi Jokinen and Eric Staal at 16:57.
Flyers 2, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 3:03Feb 18 10:27 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Braydon Coburn (2), at 14:49.
Flyers 2, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 5:11Feb 18 10:22 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 18 9:39 PM
- Philadelphia Short-Handed Goal - Blair Betts (4), at 2:57.
Flyers 1, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 17:03Feb 18 9:04 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
End of 1st
Feb 18 8:42 PM
- Eric Staal wrist shot on Sergei Bobrovsky.
Flyers 0, Hurricanes 2 1st - 14:01Feb 18 8:18 PM
- Carolina Goal - Chad LaRose (11), at 4:12.
Flyers 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 15:48Feb 18 8:14 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 18 8:09 PM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23