Surging Devils top HurricanesFeb 20, 2011 - 3:34 AM
Henrik Tallinder and Brian Rolston also scored while Patrik Elias had three assists for the Devils, who have won their past seven games and are 15-1-2 since dropping four straight in early January.
Johan Hedberg tied a career-high with his sixth straight win as New Jersey beat Carolina for a third time since February 8.
Patrick Dwyer scored the lone goal and Cam Ward stopped 21 shots as Carolina lost for the fifth time in its past seven games.
The Devils scored three times in the first period to take command of the game.
The first goal came just 1:14 in as a low shot from the right point by Mark Fayne saw the puck tipped in by Zubrus for his 12th goal of the year.
About 10 minutes later, New Jersey took a 2-0 lead as Ilya Kovalchuk skated the puck in a circle in the Carolina end and from down low he dished the puck back to the left point for Tallinder, who one-timed the puck home.
Five minutes after that, it was a 3-0 game when Anton Volchenkov blasted a shot from the right point that saw Rolston slam home the rebound for his 10th goal of the season.
Hedberg stopped eight shots in each of the first two periods to keep Carolina off the board.
Carolina got on the board 6:49 into the third when Jamie McBain sent a wrist shot on net from the right point that hit off of Dwyer to make it a two-goal game.
Zubrus, though, got the goal back five minutes later when he beat Ward to the short side with a wrister from the right circle.
New Jersey continues its four-game road trip in Dallas on Tuesday...Carolina hosts the Rangers on Tuesday...New Jersey took three of four from Carolina for the second straight season.
- NEW JERSEY: 4
Feb 19 9:23 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Dainius Zubrus (13), from Patrik Elias at 11:43.
Devils 4, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 8:17Feb 19 9:10 PM
- Carolina Goal - Patrick Dwyer (8), from Jamie McBain at 6:49.
Devils 3, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 13:11Feb 19 9:01 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 3
End of 2nd
Feb 19 8:31 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 3
End of 1st
Feb 19 7:43 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Brian Rolston (10), from Anton Volchenkov at 16:14.
Devils 3, Hurricanes 0 1st - 3:46Feb 19 7:37 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Henrik Tallinder (3), from Ilya Kovalchuk and Nick Palmieri at 11:17.
Devils 2, Hurricanes 0 1st - 8:43Feb 19 7:29 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Dainius Zubrus (12), from Mark Fayne and Patrik Elias at 1:14.
Devils 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 18:46Feb 19 7:11 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 19 7:08 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9