Marleau beats OT buzzer as Sharks down PenguinsFeb 24, 2011 - 5:52 AM
It appeared the game was headed to a shootout after Marc-Andre Fleury made a beautiful glove stop on a Marleau breakaway with just over a minute left in the extra session.
However, San Jose continued to apply the pressure and a left point shot from Marc-Edouard Vlasic saw Marleau chip in the rebound for the win.
Marleau also scored in regulation while Logan Couture had a goal and an assist for the Sharks, who have won five straight. Antti Niemi made 24 saves in the win.
Tyler Kennedy had both goals for the Penguins, who have lost three straight and five of six. Fleury made 35 saves in defeat.
"We're happy that we got the point, but of course we wanted two points," said Kennedy. "I think our team battled hard and it shows a little character that we battled back."
Forward James Neal and defenseman Matt Niskanen made their debut with Pittsburgh, which acquired the two on Tuesday from Dallas for defenseman Alex Goligoski. Neal had two shots in 20 1/2 minutes of ice-time while Niskanen had three shots in 10 1/2 minutes of action.
San Jose took a 2-1 lead 5:28 into the third when Marleau's wraparound from the left side went into the net.
Pittsburgh, though was able to ensure itself at least a point as Kennedy whacked in a rebound off a Jordan Staal shot with 50 seconds to play in regulation.
"I think it shows that we can persevere when things like that happen," said Marleau. "Of course you don't want that to happen, but it did and I think we responded well to it."
Kennedy score 5:48 into the first period to give Pittsburgh an early lead, but Couture scored his 25th goal of the season on the power play 3:01 into the second to tie the game.
Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik did not return for the start of the second period after taking a shot off his hand. He blocked a shot by Marleau and immediately went into the team's locker room...San Jose plays in Calgary on Friday...The Penguins hit the road for five games starting Friday in Carolina...San Jose has won seven of the last eight against Pittsburgh.
- SAN JOSE: 3
Final - OT
Feb 23 10:26 PM
- San Jose Goal - Patrick Marleau (24), at 4:56.
Sharks 3, Penguins 2 OT - 0:04Feb 23 10:26 PM
- SAN JOSE: 2
End of Regulation
Feb 23 10:17 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Tyler Kennedy (14), at 19:10.
Sharks 2, Penguins 2 3rd - 0:50Feb 23 10:14 PM
- Devin Setoguchi wrist shot on Marc-Andre Fleury.
Sharks 2, Penguins 1 3rd - 13:50Feb 23 9:48 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 23 9:22 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Logan Couture (25), at 3:01.
Sharks 1, Penguins 1 2nd - 16:59Feb 23 8:51 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
End of 1st
Feb 23 8:11 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Tyler Kennedy (13), from Matt Cooke and Deryk Engelland at 5:48.
Sharks 0, Penguins 1 1st - 14:12Feb 23 7:46 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 23 7:38 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21