Kessel leads Leafs over Habs in Original Six battleFeb 25, 2011 - 3:57 AM
Tyler Bozak had two goals and an assist while Brett Lebda added a goal and an assist for the Maple Leafs, who have won four of five to move into the 10th spot in the Eastern Conference, four points behind Carolina for the eighth seed.
James Reimer stopped 31 shots in the victory.
"It's a big win for us after being shutout in Montreal the past two times," said Kessel. "A big win with 21 games left. This keeps us right in it. Our lines played good again and I hope we can keep this going."
Mike Cammalleri and Jeff Halpern each tallied a goal and an assist for the Canadiens, who have dropped four of their last five games.
"They did some good things in the first, but we weren't that bad," said Cammalleri. "They had some big power-play goals. It's tough to win when you give up five."
Alex Auld was pulled in the first period after giving up three goals on nine shots. Carey Price finished the contest and gave up two goals on 19 shots.
Bozak's second goal of the game 4:26 into the third gave Toronto a 5-3 lead when he slammed in a Kessel feed from in front for his 10th goal of the season.
With 2:37 to play, Max Pacioretty cut the deficit to one when he chipped a rebound over Reimer, but Montreal was unable to net the equlaizer.
The first goal of the game went to Montreal as Halpern redirected a Roman Hamrlik shot just 5:43 in.
Toronto, though, scored the next three goals to take a 3-1 lead into the first intermission.
The first goal came just over two minutes later when Kessel used a right circle faceoff win to laser the puck into the left corner. Just over four minutes later, Kessel brought the puck out front and stuffed it between the pads of Auld. Both goals came on the power play.
Lebda's first goal in 86 games came 59 seconds later when his wrist shot from the inside right circle made its way through traffic and into the net, prompting a goalie change.
The Habs scored a pair of power-play goals 20 seconds apart in the second to tie the game.
The first came 3:42 in when Cammalleri wristed the puck home from in front and James Wisniewski scored on a slap shot from the right circle to tie the game.
Toronto, though, took the lead back with a power-play goal of its own as Bozak's one-time got past Price at the 8:30 mark of the second.
Montreal hosts Carolina on Saturday...Toronto returns home to face the Penguins on Saturday...The Maple Leafs have taken three of the five games with Montreal this season. The two clubs will play their final game of the regular season against each other in Toronto on April 9...Toronto went 3-for-7 on the power play while Montreal was 2-for-6.
- TORONTO: 5
Feb 24 10:10 PM
- Montreal Goal - Max Pacioretty (11), from Jeff Halpern and Mike Cammalleri at 17:23.
Maple Leafs 5, Canadiens 4 3rd - 2:37Feb 24 10:06 PM
- Toronto Goal - Tyler Bozak (10), at 4:26.
Maple Leafs 5, Canadiens 3 3rd - 15:34Feb 24 9:38 PM
- TORONTO: 4
End of 2nd
Feb 24 9:14 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Tyler Bozak (9), from Phil Kessel and Tim Brent at 8:30.
Maple Leafs 4, Canadiens 3 2nd - 11:30Feb 24 8:51 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - James Wisniewski (6), from Brian Gionta at 4:02.
Maple Leafs 3, Canadiens 3 2nd - 15:58Feb 24 8:44 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Mike Cammalleri (14), at 3:42.
Maple Leafs 3, Canadiens 2 2nd - 16:18Feb 24 8:42 PM
- TORONTO: 3
End of 1st
Feb 24 8:20 PM
- Toronto Goal - Brett Lebda, at 13:02.
Maple Leafs 3, Canadiens 1 1st - 6:58Feb 24 8:07 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Phil Kessel (25), at 12:03.
Maple Leafs 2, Canadiens 1 1st - 7:57Feb 24 8:05 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Phil Kessel (24), at 8:00.
Maple Leafs 1, Canadiens 1 1st - 12:00Feb 24 7:57 PM
- Montreal Goal - Roman Hamrlik (5), from Tomas Plekanec at 5:43.
Maple Leafs 0, Canadiens 1 1st - 14:17Feb 24 7:52 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 24 7:41 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13