Bruins get by Lightning for seventh straight winMar 4, 2011 - 4:43 AM
Steven Kampfer also scored for the Bruins, while Tim Thomas made 27 saves for the victory.
"I thought we played the game we keep talking about, a 60-minute effort. It was a tight game, but when you look back it could have been a different outcome," said Bruins head coach Claude Julien.
Eric Brewer had the only goal for the Lightning, who have lost two straight on the heels of a three-game winning streak. Mike Smith allowed two goals on 28 shots in defeat.
Tampa Bay was coming off a 2-1 loss to the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday and finished 1-2 on a three-game road trip that lasted five days.
"Guys were gassed," said Lightning head coach Guy Boucher.
Boston took sole possession of the No. 2 slot in the Eastern Conference behind Philadelphia with 83 points. The Northeast Division-leading Bruins entered the game tied with Tampa Bay and idle Pittsburgh at 81 points.
After a scoreless first period, the Southeast Division-leading Lightning got on the board 4:04 into the second. Brewer was gliding across the slot from the left side when he ripped a shot that beat Thomas' glove inside the right post.
Kampfer's goal, just 2:02 later, was a mirror image. He was coasting through the slot from the right side when he bested Smith to the stick side with a shot that zipped inside the right post.
Lucic's go-ahead tally came as Smith and the Lightning fought to clear their crease of players. There were at least seven total bodies in front when Lucic, from a sharp angle below the left circle, whipped the puck in for his 28th goal of the season.
Boston was coming off a 6-0 road trip that included victories over the Islanders, Flames, Canucks, Oilers and two wins over the Senators...The Bruins have won seven straight games for the first time since a 10-game streak from December 12, 2008-January 1, 2009.
- TAMPA BAY: 1
Mar 3 9:31 PM
- Boston Goal - Milan Lucic (28), from David Krejci and Nathan Horton at 16:18.
Lightning 1, Bruins 2 3rd - 3:42Mar 3 9:23 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 3 8:38 PM
- Boston Goal - Steven Kampfer (5), at 6:06.
Lightning 1, Bruins 1 2nd - 13:54Mar 3 8:05 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Eric Brewer (9), at 4:04.
Lightning 1, Bruins 0 2nd - 15:56Mar 3 8:02 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Mar 3 7:40 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 3 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17