Maple Leafs edge Flyers on Boyce's tallyMar 4, 2011 - 3:49 AM
Nikolai Kulemin and Dion Phaneuf also scored for the Maple Leafs, who snapped a four-game losing streak to the Eastern Conference leaders with their fourth win in six games overall.
James Reimer made 28 stops for the victory.
"Well it's that time of year. Playing down the stretch, the games are tight, and you saw that again tonight," Phaneuf said about Toronto's ninth straight close contest. "Everything is a one-goal game. Teams are playing for positioning, and playing for their lives. They're big points that are one the line and that's why the games are so tight."
Facing his old team for the first time, Kris Versteeg posted both goals -- assisted each time by Mike Richards -- for the Flyers, who have lost two in a row and three of four.
"I think we've been playing well over the last six games or so," said Versteeg about his adjustment to his new club. "Sometimes it takes a little time to build it and go on but it's about going out and working hard for each other."
Sergei Bobrovsky took the loss despite 30 saves.
Boyce chased down a dump-in from Colby Armstrong along the end boards to the right of the Flyers' net, and was allowed to walk out in front and slip a shot past Bobrovsky to give Toronto a one-goal edge.
Philly had a great chance to tie with 20.7 seconds left, but Reimer managed to get a glove on a point-blank wrister by Danny Briere, and smothered the puck once it bounced off the top of the net and into the crease.
After killing off an early Toronto advantage, the Flyers got on the board at the 5:49 mark of the first period on their own power play when Richards fed Versteeg for an open one-timer from between the circles.
Kulemin answered for the Leafs when he was credited with getting a part of his body on a blast from the left wing by Clarke MacArthur only 21 seconds later, but Toronto failed to convert on three successive power plays before the end of the stanza.
Richards found Versteeg again at 7:07 of the second period, this time for a score at the left side of the crease, but the visitors hit two posts and buzzed around Bobrovsky until Phaneuf netted a rebound in front with 10.5 seconds left in the period.
"It would have been nice (to get the win) but stuff happens and you just move on and get ready for the next game," Versteeg said when asked if he was satisfied with his performance against the club that dealt him away.
The Maple Leafs hadn't won in Philadelphia since March 12, 2008...Prior to the game, the Flyers recalled forward Ben Holmstrom from Adirondack of the AHL to take the place of forward Jeff Carter, who missed the game due to illness...Philly forwards Darroll Powe and Dan Carcillo also were out with what is described as flu-like symptoms...The Flyers welcomed back forward Blair Betts (finger) and Chris Pronger (hand)...Versteeg's last two- goal game happened on November 16 against Nashville with Toronto.
- TORONTO: 3
Mar 3 9:35 PM
- Toronto Goal - Darryl Boyce (4), at 15:30.
Maple Leafs 3, Flyers 2 3rd - 4:30Mar 3 9:26 PM
- TORONTO: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 3 8:41 PM
- Toronto Goal - Dion Phaneuf (4), at 19:49.
Maple Leafs 2, Flyers 2 2nd - 0:11Mar 3 8:41 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Kris Versteeg (17), at 7:07.
Maple Leafs 1, Flyers 2 2nd - 12:53Mar 3 8:13 PM
- TORONTO: 1
End of 1st
Mar 3 7:46 PM
- Toronto Goal - Clarke MacArthur (20), at 6:10.
Maple Leafs 1, Flyers 1 1st - 13:50Mar 3 7:19 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Kris Versteeg (16), at 5:49.
Maple Leafs 0, Flyers 1 1st - 14:11Mar 3 7:18 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 3 7:08 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24