Sabres send Flyers to third straight lossMar 5, 2011 - 10:04 PM
Drew Stafford, Tyler Ennis and Andrej Sekera scored 3:40 apart during the second period for Buffalo, which improved to 2-0-1 on its seven-game road trip and moved to within a point of eighth-place Carolina in the East.
Brad Boyes and Thomas Vanek both collected two assists, while Ryan Miller made 33 saves to pick up his 28th win of the season.
"Anything is possible [when the] team hunkers down and wants to work and get pucks to the net," Miller said. "We got pucks to the net and got the bounces we were looking for and we capitalized on the chances."
Kris Versteeg, James van Riemsdyk and Kimmo Timonen tallied for the Flyers, who have lost three straight for the first time since November 26-December 1. Philadelphia hadn't dropped three in a row in regulation since October 14-21.
"We're playing teams that are battling for their lives, and they are going to be desperate and play with a lot of determination and desire, and we have to match that if we want to win hockey games," said Philadelphia defenseman Chris Pronger.
Rookie Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 30 shots in defeat.
Pominville drove the net and tapped Vanek's feed between the legs of Bobrovsky, giving Buffalo a 4-3 lead at the 6:37 mark of the third period.
Moments later, Miller fired the puck over the glass but the Flyers failed to capitalize on the delay-of-game penalty.
Nathan Gerbe hit an empty net to seal the victory with 1:04 remaining.
The Flyers built a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals by Versteeg and van Riemsdyk.
Philadelphia's struggling power play opened the scoring at 12:44. Versteeg, who supplied both goals in Thursday's 3-2 home loss to Toronto, converted a feed from Matt Carle. The Flyers had gone four straight games without a power- play goal and were just 1-for-23 over their last seven.
Less than five minutes later, van Riemsdyk looked to pass to Jeff Carter on an odd-man rush before flicking a backhander past Miller, doubling the advantage with 2:38 remaining.
Buffalo surged ahead in the second period.
Stafford put the Sabres on the board at 6:52, then Ennis threw a shot on net from a sharp angle that deflected in off Philadelphia's Sean O'Donnell at 8:48. Sekera capped the outburst at 10:32, scoring on a wraparound after his first two first bids were thwarted.
The Flyers pulled even on Timonen's 100th career goal with 6:37 left in the middle stanza. The Finn reached the century mark while Versteeg served a slashing penalty. Timonen took a pass from Braydon Coburn, who did a great job to keep the puck in the Buffalo zone, and lifted a shot over the glove of Miller.
Philadelphia has lost five of seven overall...Buffalo's Paul Gaustad picked up two assists...The Flyers have scored 11 short-handed goals this season.
- BUFFALO: 5
Mar 5 3:33 PM
- Buffalo Empty Net Goal - Nathan Gerbe (8), from Paul Gaustad and Patrick Kaleta at 18:56.
Sabres 5, Flyers 3 3rd - 1:04Mar 5 3:31 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Jason Pominville (16), at 6:37.
Sabres 4, Flyers 3 3rd - 13:23Mar 5 3:06 PM
- BUFFALO: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 5 2:40 PM
- Philadelphia Short-Handed Goal - Kimmo Timonen (4), at 13:23.
Sabres 3, Flyers 3 2nd - 6:37Mar 5 2:28 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Andrej Sekera, at 10:32.
Sabres 3, Flyers 2 2nd - 9:28Mar 5 2:19 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Tyler Ennis, at 8:48.
Sabres 2, Flyers 2 2nd - 11:12Mar 5 2:16 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Drew Stafford (25), from Thomas Vanek at 6:52.
Sabres 1, Flyers 2 2nd - 13:08Mar 5 2:10 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
End of 1st
Mar 5 1:44 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - James van Riemsdyk, at 17:22.
Sabres 0, Flyers 2 1st - 2:38Mar 5 1:40 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Kris Versteeg (18), at 12:44.
Sabres 0, Flyers 1 1st - 7:16Mar 5 1:32 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 5 1:09 PM
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24