Pens snap Bruins win streak at seven gamesMar 6, 2011 - 6:39 AM
Jeffrey streaked down the right side, cut to the middle and beat Tim Thomas with a forehand shot inside the left post to end the contest.
Jordan Staal also tallied for the Penguins, who had dropped six of seven coming in and have not won in regulation win since February 4.
Marc-Andre Fleury halted 29-of-31 shots for the win as Pittsburgh crept within two points of the Flyers for first place in the Atlantic Division.
"I just think it shows our team character," Jeffrey said about his club's resilience without captain Sidney Crosby or forward Evgeni Malkin. "Obviously there have been losses but we're getting points for overtime losses and we're keeping pace. Now we're two points behind the conference leader."
Zdeno Chara and David Krejci scored for the Bruins, who hadn't tasted defeat since February 15 against Toronto. Thomas ended up with 36 stops.
Following a scoreless first period, the Bruins got on the board at 7:26 of the second period. Krejci kept the puck in at the blue line near the right boards and flipped into the middle for Chara, who ripped a wrister home.
Pittsburgh tallied twice in a 70-second span with Staal knotting the game at 10:09 off a give-and-go with Tyler Kennedy and Jeffrey potting a rebound at 11:19.
Thomas went to the bench for an extra skater with just over a minute to play. Seconds after Matt Cooke's try for the empty net was blocked, Mark Recchi worked the puck behind the net to Milan Lucic, who fed Krejci in the slot for the tying goal with 32.5 seconds left in regulation.
"It was a tough one there, especially after tying it up at the end," said Bruins forward Michael Ryder. "I think we were playing well in every role and that's a positive thing. We have a game Tuesday against Montreal and look past this to then."
It was Jeffrey's first career two-goal game...Chara's goal was his first in 20 games, dating back to his hat trick in a 7-0 win over Carolina on January 17...Pens defenseman Zbynek Michalek recorded his 100th career assist on Jeffrey's first tally...Lucic notched two assists for Boston.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Final - OT
Mar 5 9:38 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of Regulation
Mar 5 9:29 PM
- Boston Goal - David Krejci (10), at 19:27.
Penguins 2, Bruins 2 3rd - 0:33Mar 5 9:28 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 5 8:35 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Dustin Jeffrey (6), at 11:19.
Penguins 2, Bruins 1 2nd - 8:41Mar 5 8:20 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Jordan Staal (7), at 10:09.
Penguins 1, Bruins 1 2nd - 9:51Mar 5 8:16 PM
- Boston Goal - Zdeno Chara (11), at 7:26.
Penguins 0, Bruins 1 2nd - 12:34Mar 5 8:11 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
End of 1st
Mar 5 7:42 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 5 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17