Hillen helps Isles get past BruinsMar 12, 2011 - 5:29 AM
Matt Moulson and P.A. Parenteau each posted a goal and one assist for the Islanders, who have won four of their last five.
"We don't get down on oursleves and just stick together like we've been doing for a while now," said Hillen. "I just think it shows that as a team we're growing and doing good things."
Al Montoya stopped 26-of-28 shots, improving to 7-2-2 on the year.
Nathan Horton and Zdeno Chara provided the offense for the Bruins, who have dropped four in a row. Tim Thomas allowed three goals on 41 shots for his third loss in as many starts.
"I don't think our team has played as well since we came back from our trip out west," said Boston head coach Claude Julien. "We're not doing the things we did on that trip that gave us success."
The Islanders drew even at 1:28 of the third period when Michael Grabner's prayer of a turnaround shot from the right circle slid through Thomas and in, then the home team forged ahead for the first time in the contest when a Hillen point shot caromed off a Bruin in the slot and popped over Thomas at 5:58.
Boston decided to skate with a extra attacker for the final minute of regulation, but the move backfired in rare fashion.
With just under 10 seconds remaining, Parenteau was taken down in the neutral zone by Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron with a clear path to the empty net, meaning an automatic goal was awarded.
Boston got on the board at the 16:29 mark of the first period, when Horton followed up Milan Lucic's rebound and hit the open net with a backhander.
Chara ripped home a shot from the right wing during a two-man edge and the Bruins went up 2-0 at 13:02 of the second, but the Islanders survived the back end of the one-man power play unscathed.
New York cut into its deficit on Moulson's power-play score with two seconds left before intermission.
For the Islanders, it was their first home win against Boston since December 12, 2009...Bruins second-overall pick Tyler Seguin was a healthy scratch once again...Kyle Okposo tallied two assists for the Islanders, and David Krejci picked up two helpers for the Bruins.
- BOSTON: 2
NEW YORK: 4
Mar 11 9:30 PM
- NY Islanders Empty Net Goal - P.A. Parenteau (16), at 19:50.
Bruins 2, Islanders 4 3rd - 0:10Mar 11 9:29 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Michael Grabner (29), at 5:58.
Bruins 2, Islanders 3 3rd - 14:02Mar 11 9:04 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Michael Grabner (28), at 1:28.
Bruins 2, Islanders 2 3rd - 18:32Mar 11 8:57 PM
- BOSTON: 2
NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 11 8:37 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Moulson, at 19:58.
Bruins 2, Islanders 2 2nd - 0:02Mar 11 8:36 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Zdeno Chara (12), at 13:02.
Bruins 2, Islanders 0 2nd - 6:58Mar 11 8:24 PM
- BOSTON: 1
NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Mar 11 7:42 PM
- Boston Goal - Nathan Horton, at 16:29.
Bruins 1, Islanders 0 1st - 3:31Mar 11 7:34 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 11 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7
- Islanders look for win amid improved play against Lightning May 6