Garrison lifts Panthers over Lightning in OTMar 13, 2011 - 5:58 AM
Following a stymied odd-man advantage for Tampa Bay, led by one of NHL's best scorers, Steven Stamkos, the Panthers rushed down the other end for a 2-on-1 charge. Mike Santorelli crossed a pass to Garrison, who backhanded it under Mike Smith's glove.
"It seems like, as of late, we've been on the losing side of these games," Garrison said. "Obviously, it's nice to get a win and we deserved it."
David Booth, Niclas Bergfors and Ryan Carter also scored for Florida, which won for a third time in nine games. Scott Clemmensen finished with 36 saves in the win.
Simon Gagne had a goal and two assists for the Lightning, who failed to get within two points of idle Southeast Division leader Washington. The Bolts have dropped six of their last seven contests and saw a goal and an assist from Vincent Lecavalier and Stamkos.
Smith surrendered all four goals on 27 shots in the losing cause.
"We fought hard from shift one to the end of the game," Smith said. "For me, I should have made a save here or there and it's a win under our belt."
The Panther's took a 2-1 lead during the early stages of the final frame. Carter carried the puck down center ice untouched and skated right into the slot. That's where he sent a quick snap shot past two retreating defenders and the puck went between Smith's leg pads at 2:22.
An insurance goal came less than three minutes later when Bergfors banged home a loose puck in front of the net.
The margin was cut back to one goal, 3-2, on a 5-on-3 advantage for the Bolts with 7:25 left in regulation. Martin St. Louis centered it right to the doorstep where Lecavalier tipped it in before Clemmensen could slide over.
Tampa Bay registered the equalizer with 2:05 left in regulation. During a power play, Lecavalier sent a shot from the right circle which was stopped by Clemmensen. But Gagne picked up the rebound and banked it off of the goaltender's back and into the net.
After a scoreless first period, Booth's 21st goal put the Panthers on the board 4:33 into the second. Booth carried the puck on an overwhelming 4-on-1 rush, which was created on a neutral zone turnover. He decided to keep it and wrist a shot from the inner part of the right circle past Smith.
Tampa Bay tied it up on the power play with 5:50 left in the period on Stamkos' blast from the point that sliced through traffic and sailed past Clemmensen.
Bergfors, who netted his first goal for the Panthers, was traded to Florida from Atlanta with Patrick Rissmiller for Radek Dvorak and a fifth-round draft pick on February 28...Tampa Bay fell to 16-13-4 on the road this year...The Bolts were 3-for-8 on the power play, while the Panthers blanked on four chances...St. Louis had two assists in the loss.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Final - OT
Mar 12 10:45 PM
- Florida Goal - Jason Garrison (4), at 4:44.
Lightning 3, Panthers 4 OT - 0:16Mar 12 10:44 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of Regulation
Mar 12 10:37 PM
- Marty Reasoner backhand shot on Mike Smith.
Lightning 3, Panthers 3 3rd - 1:06Mar 12 10:36 PM
- Brett Clark tip-in shot is wide.
Lightning 2, Panthers 3 3rd - 2:13Mar 12 10:34 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Simon Gagne (11), from Brett Clark at 17:55.
Lightning 3, Panthers 3 3rd - 2:05Mar 12 10:34 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (17), from Martin St. Louis at 12:35.
Lightning 2, Panthers 3 3rd - 7:25Mar 12 10:21 PM
- Florida Goal - Sergei Samsonov (12), at 5:18.
Lightning 1, Panthers 3 3rd - 14:42Mar 12 10:06 PM
- Florida Goal - Ryan Carter (2), at 2:22.
Lightning 1, Panthers 2 3rd - 17:38Mar 12 10:00 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 12 8:39 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Steven Stamkos (43), from Martin St. Louis at 14:10.
Lightning 1, Panthers 1 2nd - 5:50Mar 12 8:28 PM
- Florida Goal - David Booth (21), at 4:33.
Lightning 0, Panthers 1 2nd - 15:27Mar 12 8:07 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Mar 12 7:42 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 12 7:21 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17