Leafs rally to edge SabresMar 13, 2011 - 7:24 AM
Tyler Bozak and Clarke MacArthur also lit the lamp for the Maple Leafs, who snapped a three-game skid. James Reimer made 39 saves.
"We've been through a lot all season and you have your ups and downs but you can't give up," Toronto head coach Ron Wilson said. "I'm very proud of the team not to cave in."
Mike Weber, Jochen Hecht and Jordan Leopold scored for the Sabres, who went 4-2-1 on a seven-game road trip. Ryan Miller turned aside 25-of-29 shots.
Down by a goal, 3-2, the Maple Leafs tied the game 4:03 into the third when Grabovski's one-timer from the top of the right circle got past Miller.
Kessel put Toronto ahead 4-3 at the 6:35 mark. The American-born winger led a charge up the right side of the ice and beat Miller with a wrister from the circle.
"They got lucky," Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff said. "(The) puck went off the skate."
The Sabres drew first blood at the 2:55 mark of the first period. Weber's wrister from the point beat traffic in front and got past Reimer.
MacArthur tied the game for Toronto with 8:37 remaining. Grabovski fed a pass to MacArthur, whose slapper from the top of the left circle beat Miller.
The Maple Leafs took a 2-1 lead on Bozak's goal at the 10:10 mark of the middle stanza, but Hecht put home a rebound less than a minute later to make it a 2-2 contest.
Leopold's slapper from the point gave Buffalo a 3-2 edge with 4:29 to go in the second frame.
The Sabres lead the season series with the Maple Leafs, 3-2. Buffalo had won nine of its previous 10 trips to Toronto...The Sabres were without forwards Patrick Kaleta (knee) and Drew Stafford (hamstring)...Buffalo went 1-for-1 on the power play, while Toronto went 0-for-2 with the man advantage.
- BUFFALO: 3
Mar 12 10:42 PM
- Toronto Goal - Phil Kessel, at 6:35.
Sabres 3, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 13:25Mar 12 10:18 PM
- Toronto Goal - Mikhail Grabovski (27), from Carl Gunnarsson and Dion Phaneuf at 4:03.
Sabres 3, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 15:57Mar 12 10:13 PM
- BUFFALO: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 12 8:50 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Cody McCormick (9), at 15:31.
Sabres 3, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 4:29Mar 12 8:44 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Jochen Hecht, at 11:04.
Sabres 2, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 8:56Mar 12 8:35 PM
- Toronto Goal - Tyler Bozak (11), from Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul at 10:10.
Sabres 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 9:50Mar 12 8:31 PM
- BUFFALO: 1
End of 1st
Mar 12 7:52 PM
- Toronto Goal - Clarke MacArthur (20), at 11:23.
Sabres 1, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 8:37Mar 12 7:37 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Mike Weber (4), at 2:54.
Sabres 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 17:06Mar 12 7:24 PM
- BUFFALO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 12 7:22 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13