Reimer, Leafs handle 'CanesMar 17, 2011 - 3:37 AM
Dion Phaneuf had two goals and an assist while Tyler Bozak scored the other goal for the Maple Leafs, who had dropped four of five coming into the contest.
"All year long I've been saying 'sometimes they go and sometimes they don't'," said Phaneuf. "It was nice to get a couple in tonight and help the team take a big two points."
Chad LaRose scored the lone goal and Cam Ward was tagged for three goals on 19 shots for the Hurricanes, who have now lost five of their last six games.
"We're offensively frustrated out there right now," said Carolina head coach Paul Maurice. "We have a bunch of chances at the net, but the pucks are sitting around that crease and we just can't get them in."
The win moved Toronto into 10th place in the Eastern Conference and four points back of Buffalo for the final playoff spot. Meanwhile, Carolina stayed in ninth place and is two points behind Buffalo.
Carolina got the initial lead on the power play when a wrister from Brandon Sutter in the high slot was tipped in by LaRose in front at the 12:24 mark of the first.
However, Toronto tied the game on the power play with 58.9 seconds to play as Phaneuf's one-timer from the high slot went over Ward.
Skating on the power play in the second, Phaneuf scored his second goal of the game and seventh of the season on a blast from the top of the right circle that sailed over Ward's glove with 9:09 to play.
Just 12 seconds later, Toronto took a 3-1 lead as Darryl Boyce skated the puck into the zone down the left wing and threw it to the front where Bozak redirected it in.
Reimer made 10 stops in the second period, including several on a late Carolina power play, to help the Maple Leafs take a two-goal lead into the third.
Toronto killed an early Carolina power play in the third while Reimer turned aside 15 shots in the frame.
Toronto plays in Florida on Thursday...The Hurricanes host the Islanders on Friday...Each team won twice in the season series...Toronto went 2-for-3 on the power play while Carolina was 1-for-5.
- TORONTO: 3
Mar 16 9:32 PM
- TORONTO: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 16 8:42 PM
- Toronto Goal - Tyler Bozak (12), from Darryl Boyce at 11:02.
Maple Leafs 3, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 8:58Mar 16 8:25 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Dion Phaneuf (7), at 10:51.
Maple Leafs 2, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 9:09Mar 16 8:24 PM
- TORONTO: 1
End of 1st
Mar 16 7:47 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Dion Phaneuf (6), from Tim Brent and Clarke MacArthur at 19:01.
Maple Leafs 1, Hurricanes 1 1st - 0:59Mar 16 7:46 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Brandon Sutter (14), at 12:24.
Maple Leafs 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 7:36Mar 16 7:32 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 16 7:10 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Capitals finally able to turn attention to playoffs Apr 11
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10